Chapter 60

I blinked, staring at my reflection in the mirror. I guess I looked okay. Okay for someone who hadn’t slept at all for the past two nights, due to my mind being consistently alert even though I was utterly drained. My mum and Gary were arriving back in London tonight and I didn’t want them to see how much of a mess I was. Yesterday had been...tough. I’d spent the entire day in my room thinking back to the set back Harry and I had had the day before. I kept thinking about what I had done and how sorry I was if I constantly came across as desperate towards him. My voice had told me that I didn’t.

Today was a new day, and so I decided to take a shower to help. The hot water relaxed my tense muscles and washed away the nervous feeling for awhile. Afterwards, I combed through my damp hair and re-entered my bedroom, sighing to myself as I debated what to do. Do when? Now? Today? Next week? What the hell was I going to do!? At the sound of my phone ringing I picked it up from my dresser and then almost dropped my towel in surprise at the sight of the caller ID. Harry.

"Hello?"

"Carly."

I sighed with relief, his voice immediately filling me with warmth. I then thought of the last conversation we had shared and widened my eyes, suddenly rushing to say everything to him before it was too late.

"Oh my God, Harry, about yesterday, I am so sorry! I know you’ve been busy and I didn’t mean to sound so desperate, I’m so proud of you and I didn’t-"

"-Car," he whispered and I stopped, bewildered at the sound coming from my phone. I could swear that he was crying.

"H-Harry, are you okay?" 

I could hear his slow, ragged breathing and so listened intently instead of speaking again. My voice told me that it wouldn’t do me any good. After several tense seconds Harry spoke up again.

"I-I need to see you, Carly. Can you meet me in Hepton Park in an hour? In our place," he added, giving me hope that everything was okay.

"Of course," I replied. "I’ll be there. I love you," I quietly whispered.

But the line was already dead.

***

I pulled open the remaining branches and hesitantly stepped into the vast clearing. He was already there, sat at the edge of the lake, and as still as stone. He didn’t turn to face me which caused a nervous feeling to emerge in my gut, telling me that this wasn’t going to be as pleasant as I’d hoped.

‘Maybe he just hasn’t heard you yet,’ my voiced whispered, almost sympathetically. Since when was it sympathetic? It could be right though. I slowly moved forward, squinting my eyes as the sun seeped through them, blinding me. I just kept my eyes on him until I was stood at his side. Then I didn’t know what to do. I was too afraid to speak, knowing that the last time we had been so close had ended so terribly. Finally he looked up at me before sighing and dropping his head to the floor again.

“Hi,” he whispered, the thin sound cutting the tense, eerie atmosphere.

“Hi,” I responded, slowly sitting down beside him. I allowed my eyes to travel over his overpowering frame, assessing each part of him. His hair was a mess, like he hadn’t bothered to touch it at all this morning. Dark circles were under his bloodshot eyes, completely contrasting to how he had looked just two days before. Today, he looked almost as bad as me, which meant that something inside him must have triggered, must have...changed. I didn’t know whether to feel relieved or terrified.

“So...” I trailed off, not knowing what to say. I looked down and noticed the necklace...our necklace, resting underneath my shirt. I cautiously pulled it out, allowing it to shine slightly in the sun. It must have caught Harry’s attention because his gaze suddenly fell upon my chest. I smiled slightly as his eyes lifted to meet mine. A heavy sigh escaped his lips and he turned away from me, burying his head in his hands.