Chapter 15

"I hope that you see right through my walls. I hope that you catch me, 'cause I'm already falling. I'll never let a love get so close. You put your arms around me and I'm home...you put your arms around me and I’m home..." I trailed off and closed my eyes as I finished the incredible lyrics of Christina Perri. I was lost in the moment, thinking about everything, that at first I didn't hear the claps and cheers of my class mates. I opened my eyes as the sound grew and looked to my left to see Sam giving me a bright smile.

"Excellent work Carly and Sam!" Mr Fitz complimented us as we stood up and made our way back to our seats. For our music A level course we had to do a performance and lucky enough for me Sam had also opted for music and played the guitar so we were the perfect match. Just music, nothing else. As another group stood up to get their equipment ready I turned to face Sam who was looking down at me.

"Good job partner!" I cheerily said as we high fived like a couple of 4 year olds. He laughed at me and shook his head, fiddling with the sleeve of his grey knitted jumper.

"I...you have a beautiful voice, Carly," he whispered. I raised my eyebrows.

"Me? Wow...it's not that good," I felt my cheeks flame up.

"Are you kidding? You have one of the most amazing voices I've ever heard," he finished for me.

"...I...err...thanks Sam," he smiled at me and I smiled back, turning to face the next performers. They too finished their song and I joined in clapping. At that the loud, wailing bell began to ring and students began to stand. I tugged my urban backpack through my arms as Mr Fitz began to speak.

"Great class everyone. Some excellent performances," he added, looking over at Sam and I. "You may be excused."

As I stepped out the classroom I turned left, making my way to the common room when I felt Sam pull me back.

"Whoa, steady!" I joked with him. He didn't say anything, which was weird for him.

"What's wrong?" I asked and at that moment his wide, bright blue eyes locked with mine.

"Carly...I was wondering if you're not busy on-"

"Carly!!!" I looked to my right to see Soph running towards us at race car speed, holding a flyer. She stopped in front of us, bending down, gasping for breath. Standing up, she did one of those massive coughs to prepare me for something. She shoved the poster in my face and screamed those three words that filled me with excitement and glee: "THE TALENT SHOW!!!"

***

"So when is it?!" Gab asked with excitement. We were all sitting on the best couches in the common room with wide smiles spread across our faces.

"October 31st," Soph said after a moment. We all exchanged glances.

"Halloween?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"Yep," Soph said, nodding. "So...are we going to enter?" I turned to look at everyone but found them looking at me. Damn. I hated making decisions. What was I meant to say? I took a deep breath and a smile grew on my face.

"Well it’s kind of a tradition now isn't it!?" I said and everyone began to cheer. I heard the door open and looked to my right to see Kristen dancing her way in our direction.

"Oh my god guys did you see Rihanna on x factor?! She was phenomoniall! 'We found love in a hopeless place.." she trailed off, taking a seat beside me. "What are you guys talking about?" I looked over at Soph who looked back at me and winked.

"What do you think?!" she asked me.

"I think that after Gaga and Katy Perry, she's perfect."

"Yes!" Soph screamed. "Let's perform Rihanna baby!"

We all cheered and then I stopped. I looked over to the other side of the room where Tom and Sam were sitting. Sam's eyes met mine and a small smile appeared on his face. I smiled back and then turned my attention to my converse. Had I really heard right? I would have thrown my head in my hands if everyone wasn't looking at me. I couldn't stop thinking now about that sentence Sam hadn't got a chance to finish, because I think he had been about to ask me out.

***

"Harry, what's gotten into you lately?" Louis asked as he slammed the door behind the girl.

"What do you mean?" I asked, choosing jack wills underwear and throwing them on. I started searching for my White linen shirt; it was quite hot today for October, when Louis shut the cabinet, nearly jamming my fingers.

"Whoa!" I stepped back. "What was that for?"

"You need to snap out of it!" Louis shouted.

"Snap out of what?" I said confusingly.

"THIS!" he waved his hand at my torso.

"What?! I've been working out!" I complained.

"Not your abs, YOU! I know you like to flirt but I've never seen you have a new girl next to you every day, why can't you just admit it?" he narrowed his eyebrows.

"Admit what, Lou?" I sighed, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"That you’re only sleeping with girls to get over Carly," he said honestly. I burst out laughing.

"Carly? Who the hell's Carly?!" I joked. It didn't sound as funny when I said it out loud. Something clicked inside me and I almost laughed again: Lou was my voice.

"See? Dodging the question AGAIN," he stated. What was wrong with him? "Have you seen their BBM profiles? They're doing the talent show next week."

"Great," I smirked sarcastically, acting like I didn't already know. Three weeks ago Carly, Kristen and Gabby had all posted about the talent show and that they were performing Rihanna. I wanted to go because I had to see Carly dancing and singing but I was only keeping that to myself - I was lucky to have admitted it with my own thoughts. Though I wasn't admitting it to anyone else.

"I'm getting johnny to get us tickets if you want one?"

"You're going?"

"Yep. Liam wants to see Gabby and Niall Kristen. Georgie and Megan want to go so Zayn and I are taking them, but look if you don't want to it's fine, we can go without-"

"-I didn't say that exactly," I heard myself say. Lou turned around, grinning.

"I mean, if everyone else is going I suppose I should too; it would look weird otherwise," I continued.

"Yeah," Lou nodded in agreement, grinning as he turned on his heel towards the door. "Plus you get to see Carly dressed up as Rihanna." With that he shut the door, leaving me staring at nothingness, though my eyes wide. Carly. Dressed as Rihanna. I couldn't. I just couldn't hold it in anymore...I couldn't wait to see her.

***

"Put me down!" I screamed as Joe dropped me to the floor. I shook my head at him and he grinned.

"Okay, so Carly and Joe are definitely not going together," Gab wrote on her clipboard. I huffed.

"Why haven't we sorted this out already?" I questioned her. "I've put together all the choreography! Plus the show is in three days!" I buried my face in my hands; we were so unorganised this year.

"We have sorted this out, just not completely! Everyone has a partner apart from you and Soph. Joe's more suited to Soph, so we're all done!" a bright smile appeared on her face.

"But Gab...who should I go with?" I whispered, looking to the ground. I felt embarrassed how I was apparently the main person for our group and I didn't even have a partner to lift me up. Gab's smile dropped and her face turned to confusion as her eyes skimmed over the notes.

"Aw crap," she moaned, throwing her pencil to the ground. I tried my best to fake a smile.

"Gab it's fine - I'll just freestyle!" I smiled.

"Freestyle?! Carly you're the glue holding this performance together! You're the main vocals and the main dancer - if you 'freestyle' there's no hope for any of us!"

"Hey! The simple moves are always the most effective!" I argued, starting the inbetweeners dance. Laughter erupted from around me.

"Jeesh! Someone help!" she cried and I turned around looking at our group. Besides my obvious friends, we had gathered our usual group for the talent show: a group of girls and a group of boys. For our 'We found love' dance I wanted it to be similar to the music video so suggested having partner dances where the girl jumps on the guys shoulders. Cheesy, I know, but cheesy is my middle name. The only problem was we were a guy short. A guy short for me.

"I'll do it," I heard a small voice volunteer, and turned in the direction that it came from. Standing in the doorway, in (*gulp*) tracksuit bottoms and a fitted t shirt was Sam. No, dammit, not Sam! Anyone but Sam! As if he could even lift me!

"Sure! Come up here Sam!" Gab cried, motioning for him to join us on stage. What?!?! Had she gone insane?! God I was going to kill her later! Sam jogged up the steps and stopped in front of me, smiling. I could feel everyone’s eyes on us, but I wasn't saying anything. It appeared that my voice had suddenly ran away.

"So have you ever danced before Sam?" Kristen joined in by asking. Jesus Christ. Sam simply laughed in response.

"Well no, but I'm a musician so I have good timing, and I go to the gym a lot," he said, though not in a bragging kind of way. "Not that i wouldn't be able to lift you anyway!" he quickly added, looking straight at me. I laughed and looked to the ground. Talk about being a klutz.

"Well then you'll be perfect!" Kris smiled, sending me a wink. My eyes just widened; I was having words.

"We'll practice the easiest one first," Kristen grabbed my wrist and guided me until I was stood behind Sam.

"What?!" I hissed, looking back at him after seeing Gabby whisper something in his ear. He bent forward slightly, holding his arms out. I hesitantly took a step backward.

"Hop on Car!" Kristen cheered. Oh. My. God.

"What?!" I said again.

"The signature move of this dance is the piggy back, so hop on!" she said again. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"I don't think Sam really wants to-"

"Carly it's, fine!" I heard him softly say. "Just jump." 

Sending Kris and Gab my worst glare possible, I stepped forward and closing my eyes, jumped up. I felt Sam's strong arms catch me and lift me up. Ooh. I was actually comfy, haha! I felt like ordering him to run around like a horse, but that would be weird. I was weird.

"Hey, this is fun!" I clapped, acting like a toddler as Sam done what Kristen told. He laughed at me then turned his head to look up.

"Good job cowboy!" I said and instantly regretted it. I was a loon. Next time I went to town I was buying 'how to act cool around boys for dummies.' If they even stocked that.