Chapter 78

'It’s like you’re screaming...and no one can hear.

You almost feel ashamed...that someone could be that important, that without them...you feel like nothing.

No one will ever understand how much it hurts.

You feel hopeless, like nothing can save you.

Then when it’s over...and it’s gone, you almost wish that you could have all that bad stuff back, so that you could have the good.'

***

Crack.

Her body fell onto the floor and as her head smacked against the concrete the sudden sound made me snap out of the trance that I had developed.

And I screamed.

I screamed until my lungs were out of air, but that didn't stop me from running towards her. I didn't even look to see whether the car had disappeared or not, because the only thing that was focused in my vision was her lifeless, broken body. I stopped in front of her and fell onto my knees.

"Car?" I whispered, my entire body trembling with fear. Her bright and beautiful voice didn't respond. The only thing that did reply to me was the flow of blood creeping towards me. I followed its trail and when my eyes seen where it was flowing from I instantly pulled my phone out of my pocket and dialled '911'. I didn't even know if someone had answered on the other line, because I was only focused on her, and my brain was slowly starting to register what had just happened.

"I - I'm at the back of Madison Square Garden, and my-" I paused. What was she to me? My girlfriend? Maybe I could call her that if she had reached me and we had made it official. But she hadn't reached me. I felt myself break down and fall onto the floor, tears pouring from my eyes.

"Sir? Sir? Can you tell me what's happened?"

"She's been fucking hit by a car!" I screamed into the phone, not even caring about my cursed language.

"Who? Can I take your name please, sir?"

"Harry Styles," I broke. "It's my Carly - I -" I broke off. I didn't have the energy to say anything else.

"P-please just come." I dropped my phone onto the floor and the screen smashed. I didn't even care. I had lost all feeling in my body. My eyes travelled to her and more tears fell. No. She wasn't dead. She couldn't be dead. Although the blood flow from her head was increasing, when my mind registered the action I was suddenly standing up, taking my shirt off. I kneeled back down beside her and the tears disappeared. I wouldn't cry. I wouldn't cry, because I wouldn't let her die. A part of me was screaming the fact that she was already dead, but I wouldn't accept that. I couldn’t accept that. I had saved her once, and I would save her again. So I carefully pulled her into my lap and rolled my tee shirt up, delicately placing it around the wound in her head. I tied it around her forehead and pulled it tightly. I didn't even know what I was doing but I'd seen people doing it on television, and right now, it was the only hope that I had.

"You're going to be fine," I whispered to her, smiling. When she didn't respond I narrowed my eyebrows and bit back the tears again. I took a deep breath before scanning the rest of the body. I winced instantly at the damage caused to her, and I knew that it wouldn't be long before I was crying again and so made the most of my confident outburst.

"You're not dead, you're not dead, you're not dead..." I repeated over and over again, stroking her perfect face. "No, you're not dead, because you wouldn't leave me. We love each other, and I promise you that I'm never going to let you go again. You're everything to me, Car. Everything. Baby, please don't let me go," I whispered the last sentence, and I knew that my confidence was gone. The tears were back and I pulled Carly closer to me, trying to savour this moment before I had to accept the truth.