Chapter 21

The next week passed pretty quickly. School was fine, as crazy as it sounds I swear I could see something happening between Sophie and Sam, which made me happy. I wouldn't say anything to them in case, but if they ended up together I would be happy. They really suited each other. Gabby and Liam had had their first official date last night which was really cute - I had taken her shopping to find the perfect outfit. So as far as my friends were concerned, everything was fine. On the other hand, I wasn't having the greatest time at home. My dad had invited me to spend the christmas break with him in New York, but I hadn't given him an answer yet. Somehow I think Gary was the one who had asked him, now that I fully knew about him and my mum dating, he was always around. I know I'd said my mum was starting to pay more attention to me after I'd told her about everything, but now that was a lie. I had barely seen my mum this week. Her and Gary were out EVERY single day which bothered me. I know they were together, but I was only just adjusting to the fact that my mum was dating again, and this was too much. Too much in my face.

"Okay, put her down now," my cheer instructor ordered and I jumped up one last time to fall down and be caught securely in a queens chair position by the two guys holding me. I jumped down from their strong grip and smiled.

"Thanks guys," I said. They smiled at me and I walked away towards the teacher. She was quite strict but I don't think she minded me, she had taught me for 13 years after all.

"Good job today Carly, I think you should be leading flyer in our next competition," she said, looking down at her notebook that she was writing in. I widened my eyes.

"Really?" I asked, a smile appearing on my face. She looked up and met my smile.

"Yes, I think you're the best on the team by far now, I'll sort out all the routine this week and let you know in our next practise."

"Wow, thank you so much, you won't regret it," I smiled brightly, waving goodbye and grabbing my things. I said goodbye to everyone else and headed out, running over to the stands where my bike was sitting. Yes, my bike. This was how pathetic my week had been, my mum hadn't even came home last night, so I had to turn to my old bike to take me to cheerleading. It even had an old-fashioned basket and everything. Oh the joy. Looking up, I found the sky filled with dull clouds so I sighed and quickly began pedalling, praying I wouldn't get caught in the rain. Luckily enough I managed to get home just as the crazy thunderstorm started. I threw my bike somewhere, I didn't really care; it was as old as my grandad anyway. Running up to the porch, I noticed a silver mercedes parked in the driveway which meant Gary was here. So my mum had finally come back home. I rung the doorbell and hugged my arms around me to keep myself warm. The door slowly opened and my mum stood there with Gary. They were both smiling.

"So you're finally home," I remarked, stepping inside past them.

"We have some exciting news," my mum said, dodging my unsatisfied tone. I turned around and plastered a fake smile on my face.

"Ooh what?" I asked. My mum hesitated and after a moment held her hand out. My smile dropped.

"We're engaged!" she cried. My eyes were fixed on the huge diamond ring sitting on her third finger and all of a sudden I found myself stuttering.

"I...what? But...you've only been dating for a few months," I managed. They each exchanged glances.

"...when you found out about me and Gary, we had already been dating Carly...for over a year," I didn't even argue, I had known that anyway.

"But still! A year's not long! I..." I trailed off, not knowing what to say. There was nothing I could say, except the obvious.

"Congratulations," I smiled slightly and my mum stepped closer for a hug. She held onto me tightly and as she and I broke apart Gary wound his arm around her.

"I'll make her happy Carly," he smiled, so I smiled back.

"I know," I sighed, grabbing my mac from where I had laid it behind me. "I'm just going to go out for a bit..."

"But Car look at the weather - you can't go out in that! Stay in and have some tea with us," my mum suggested.

"Thanks but...I, er, I need some fresh air. I'll be back soon," I finished, turning away from them towards the door. I ran outside, feeling the pouring rain soak my hair so I tried tugging my hood up. It didn't really work. Ignoring the bike standing next to me, I ran past it and carried on, clasping even tighter at the thin waterproof material. I didn't even know where I was going. I just needed somewhere to think...and surprisingly not one of my friends' houses - I wanted to be alone - to process what was actually going to happen. The hood began to fall and this time I allowed it, sighing to myself as the drenching rain soaked it's way through my hair. Making my way down several streets, I stopped as my eyes looked up to the direction signs above me, telling me how to get to landmarks. One was pointing right and in bold letters my eyes skimmed across the words: 'Hepton Park.' That was it. I knew where I could go.

***

I pulled the remaining branches out of my way and stepped into the beautiful clearing Harry had first shown me that gorgeous day back in august. It was the middle of November now, yet it still looked just as perfect, the small droplets of rain hanging perfectly on each of the leaves. I slowly walked into the centre and sat down, looking up at the glistening lake in front of me and the faint skyline of London being covered by the dark, haunting clouds. I just sat there for awhile, watching the sky darken, thinking about how much was going to change. I didn't want it to. All of a sudden I looked down to see my mac now covered in water from my tears as well as the rain. Why was I even crying? I carried on, letting the weak tears take control of me until I heard branches moving behind me.

"Who are you - wait, Carly?" I heard in that warm familiar voice. I turned around and my heart began to flutter at Harry standing there with water droplets hanging in his curls framing his god-like face. I hung my head and turned away from him, quickly trying to wipe the tears away. Instead I just smudged all of my mascara. Great - so much for it being waterproof.

"Sorry...I...I just needed some place to think," I heard movement again and looked beside me to see him sitting down next to me. He must have noticed my puffy eyes because all of a sudden his eyes widened and he immediately edged closer, quickly wrapping his arms around me. I let go and began to cry again. I didn't even have a clue why, but I know I felt comforted by Harry stroking my hair and shushing me.

"It's okay, Car, I'm here, it's okay," he soothed and that just caused even more tears to fall. God dammit! Why did he have to be so unbelievably perfect!? We sat like that for awhile and he let me cry until I wanted to stop. After so long I quieted down and sniffled, annoyed at how much my eyes hurt. Keeping his arms securely around me, Harry turned his head to the side and studied me carefully.

"You okay?" he asked. I looked up and noticed the rain wasn't as heavy now, just fine sprinkles surrounding us. I sighed and nodded.

"Sorry Harry. I know this is your place, but I just needed some place to be alone...how did you know I was here?" I asked.

"I didn't," he replied. "The tour starts the night after tomorrow in Manchester. I needed some alone time as well," I sat up and Harry released his firm grip on me, though I couldn't help bit notice he left one hand lightly on my waist, which felt good. "What's happened?" he bumped his shoulder with mine and I looked up, almost immediately dropping the small smile that had crept on my face.

"My mum and Gary are engaged," I announced. Harry widened his eyes.

"Seriously?"

"Yup."

"But...I thought they'd only been going out for a few months?"

"My thoughts exactly. I just, I know my mums dating again, but marriage already? It's too much for me, Harry," I sighed. "Too much is changing."

He wrapped his arms around me again and I sighed, glad at how happy he made me feel, whatever he did. He stroked my arm and sparks flew up through my body. I went tingly all over. Great. Why couldn't I just accept the fact that Harry and I were friends? Nothing more? At this point in time I wish I could just see him as a friend, maybe then I could be grateful for how nicely he was comforting me instead of going like jelly every time he touched or even spoke to me.

"Do you want somewhere to stay tonight?" he asked softly. I looked up at him.

"Sorry?" I asked.

"You can stay with me and Lou, if you want," he smiled encouragingly.

"You...you'd do that for me?" I asked. In response Harry simply pulled the sleeve up on his coat and rested his wrist next to mine on the grass. Both of our bracelets matched and he grinned.

"Course I would. Come on," he smiled, standing up.

"I don't know..." I trailed off. "I'd feel like I was intruding."

"Intruding? No way!" he laughed.

"I...er...well, maybe, but only if you're sure-" I started, but was cut off when Harry quickly reached down, grabbing my waist and lifting me up, throwing me over his head.

"Harry!" I screamed.

"Jeesh Car - relax!" I heard from in front of me but couldn't reply because my head was being thrown backwards and forwards as the clearing distantly faded away and everything was all of a sudden upside down. I was going to kill him. He carried on walking towards the car park whilst I just carried on shouting remarks at him. I wish I knew if he was grinning or not. After about ten minutes walking I opened my eyes to see several cars upside down. Out of the blue I felt myself being flung forewords as Harry set me back on the ground.

"A little warning would have been nice!" I complained as I found myself going dizzy. I spun around for a few seconds and Harry laughed. He unlocked the car which I found to be Louis'. Thank god; I don't think I could cope on his motorbike with him today. I opened the passenger door and climbed in.

"Sorry for ruining your day," I whispered as he closed the door behind him. He looked over at me, his emerald green eyes twinkling with confusion.

"What?" he asked.

"You were coming to your place to think..and you never got to, because of me. Sorry Harry," I said.

"Don't be," he replied. Wow. Simple, but effective. I'd love to say that to him but I was scared he would see how much of an obsessed fan I was. It still made me laugh though, haha! We rode in silence for most of the ride, but I didn't find it awkward at all, instead it just felt...nice. As he turned the oblivious corner on the deserted road I closed my eyes as he drove up the steep hill. Stopping the car, I felt the outline of my coat pocket and breathed a sigh of relief when I felt the shape of my phone there. Harry smiled at me and got out so I copied his actions. Walking behind him, I dialled my mums mobile number after noticing I had missed a call from her.

"Carly! Where are you?" she asked in what sounded like almost a relieved voice.

"Er, I was out and bumped into Harry, he's invited me over so I'm going to stay the night," I stated, trying to avoid a questioning tone.

"Harry Styles? Car, he's way too busy, tell me where you both are and I'll pick you up," she seriously said. I thought about this, though decided that going home and celebrating about Gary and my mum was not what I felt like doing right now.

"I...I want to stay mum. He keeps me company," she started to interrupt but I cut in. "I'll ring you tomorrow. Have a good night," I finished and hung up. I looked up at Harry who was standing at the door smiling sympathetically at me.

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah," I smiled. "Thank you," he grinned and rung the doorbell. Almost straight away it opened to reveal Louis.

"Where did you go Har?" he asked and then saw me standing there. He cheered up automatically. "Hey Carly! Are you okay?"

"Carly's going to stay with us tonight, man," Harry smiled.

"No problem!" Louis grinned. "Here, come in."

Harry let me in first and I smiled at the sight of the familiar apartment. My thoughts drifted back to that day here in the summer...Kristen faking a nose bleed, meeting Georgia, Gaby and Liam singing on karaoke and spin the bottle. Oh spin the bottle. I sighed as I followed Louis into the living room and sat down on the couch. I smiled and looked up to see them both hovering above me.

"What time is it?" Harry chirped after an awkward silence.

"Six," Louis answered after checking his phone. "Actually I just need to go to tesco to get a few bits, you two okay on your own?" he asked. Harry and I just stared at him.

"Okay..." he trailed off. "See you guys in a bit," and with that he left. Hearing the door shut I looked back up to meet Harrys gaze.

"You like pasta?" he asked.

"Yeah!" I cheered.

"Woo! Okay, I'm an excellent cook, just you sit back and relax," he acted out in a waiter kind of way, which made me laugh.

"Let me help you!" I called as he walked out and towards the kitchen.

"No, Car!" I heard so just sat back. Taking out my phone, I decided to shut out the world so reluctantly turned it off. I then took my mac off that was dripping and shouted out to Harry: "Hey Har, can I put my mac on the radiator?"

"Sure!" I heard so lay it on the burning radiator to let it dry. Sitting back down on the couch, I looked down at myself and widened my eyes. Oh hell no...why god why!? I was wearing my one direction tee shirt. Harry was going to think I was a crank. I debated taking my top off, but that may just stir even more confusion if Harry came back in here to see me in my bra. No, wasn't even going there. I stood up and wandered around the room until I found what I was looking for: the tv remote. Turning it on, I flicked through the boring channels and smiled brightly when I switched to a music channel where the what makes you beautiful video was playing.

"Yo superstar - you're on tv!" I called and watched as Harry ran in, dancing to the beat.

"You wanna see some sick dancemoves?" he called over the loud music.

"Sure! Okay, show me how you pull women," I laughed and he widened his eyes before walking over to me.

"You wanna see how I pull women?" he asked.

"Yeah!" I cheered, standing up to join him. "Come on, show me your best club dance move."

"Alright, fine," he agreed and moved me out of the way. I stood there watching intently and then burst out laughing when he started the sprinkler.

"The sprinkler!" I cried.

"Oh yes!" he laughed. I walked over to him and he looked up, smiling at me through his green eyes.

"Can you do ribs?" I asked.

"What?" he confusingly asked, so I demonstrated. I put one hand against the top of my waist and the other the bottom of my waist, then simply pushed my ribs from side to side, probably looking at a robot. Harry widened his eyes and hen looked up at me. 

"Whoa! You've gotta teach me that!" he cried and I laughed along.

"Okay..." I trailed off as the end of the video finished on the tv. I was about to open my mouth when a news woman appeared, a huge picture of Harry next to her.

"Big news 1D fans! Looks like Harry Styles finally has a lady!" she cried and I widened my eyes. I didn't even look at Harry, though I now guessed he was glued to the screen as was I.

"The 17 year old singer hasn't yet confessed to being in a relationship, though was seen a week ago in Londons famous links store, purchasing one of the famous friendship bracelet's. I know what you're thinking: 'for his mum obviously!' but a few days later he was spotted leaving Milkshake City carrying a birthday bag. Witnesses claimed that bag did contain the bracelet. Unfortunately our team lost Harry when security drove him away but don't worry directioners - you'll soon know whether Mr Styles has finally found his lady, because we'll be watching him like a hawk! Tweet us your comments at..." she carried on talking, though my ears wouldn't take in any more. I kept staring at the picture of Harry outside milkshake city holding the birthday bag he had given to me that day. Oh boy. We were in serious trouble now.