Chapter 36

"Bye dad,"

"See you soon, Carles."

I closed the door behind me, stepping out onto the slippery ice. It was absolutely freezing. I began walking along the deserted street, being aware of my balance. Why had I worn creepers? I couldn't even walk steadily! Finally I reached the start of Covent Garden, and sighed with relief when I found it pretty much empty. I smiled to myself, but forgot to concentrate on my balance. I stepped on a slate of death like ice and suddenly I was screaming, falling backwards.

"Whoa!" I squeezed my eyes tightly shut but opened them at the sound of another voice and strong arms catching me. Looking up for the source, I felt my eyes widen slightly as they locked with Sam's.

"Oh! Er...hey Sam!" I smiled and he laughed, standing me up and not letting go.

"You okay?" he asked, making sure that I was stable. I nodded and he let go of me.

"Thanks," I laughed. "I was hoping no one would witness that."

"Don't worry," he laughed, reaching for my bag and handing it to me. "Why are you out so early?"

"Boxing day sales," I admitted. "I'm meeting Gab and Kris. Want to get as many bargains as possible! How about you?"

He laughed before he responded. "Work," he answered, smiling.

"Oh, right!" I smiled. "Here, I'll walk there with you."

"Carly, are you okay?" he shocked me by interrupting quickly. "I'm sorry I only texted you yesterday, I didn't find out until Christmas Eve, I swear."

"I'm fine," I assured him, thinking back to the concert. "And I know, don't worry. But I'm much better, thanks."

"That's good," he smiled.

We began to walk towards Jack Wills and I kept my gaze mostly on the floor, being careful not to fall on my bum again to avoid looking like a crank. Finally Sam broke the silence, but I suddenly found it more awkward than before.

"So, you and Harry Styles?" he asked beside me. My head snapped up and I quickly met his gaze, smiling slightly.

"Yeah," I quietly said. I didn't really know what else to say. "I...I met him at the end of summer," I admitted, keeping my gaze on the floor. "Well, not just him. Liam, Zayn, Niall and Louis too. We became good friends with them."

"We?" he asked, though not in a forceful way. I could tell he was just being nice.

"Yeah, Gab, Kris and I, but we couldn't tell anyone because they didn't want any stories to start." I felt bad for not telling him, I hadn't known Sam too long but I felt a connection with him - he was a really good friend. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you, Sam."

"Hey!" he blocked my path so that I had to look up at him. "Don't be sorry Carly, really. I know I don't really know him but I could see from them photos that he really loves you. I think everyone can," he smiled slightly and we carried on walking.

"Wow, thanks," I said sheepishly. "So," I began, wanting to change the subject. "Sophie told me before my insane near death experience that you two were going out?" I joked, smiling up at him.

"Yeah," he smiled brightly. "We went out December 22nd. We're going out tonight as well," he informed me. "I really like her, but I don't think she-"

"-she does," I cut in and he smiled with glee.

"Really?" he asked brightly.

"Trust me," I laughed, as we stopped at the entrance to Jack Wills.