Chapter 64

The day we met.

Frozen, I held my breath.

Right from the start, I knew that I’d found a home for my–

-Heart...beats...fast.

I danced the simple, graceful steps to the soft pulse of the song. I could feel every ounce of tension in my body just falling away, as all that my mind was focused on was the movements I was portraying. I knew that it was only a rehearsal but that didn’t matter to me; I loved to dance, and I felt the need and importance to show it every time I performed. My eyes were drifting between opening and closing, depending on the steps I was performing. Open. Close. Open. Close. Open. However, they weren’t really looking anywhere. I could feel the single spotlight shining on me, the soft red lights adding a loving, romantic setting to the stage.

All of my doubt...suddenly goes away somehow.

I had chosen this song purely for the fact that it was beautiful. After seeing it at the end of Breaking Dawn, it had only made me more excited for expressing such a complex though elegant ballet dance to the words that gave me the audacity to convey myself in front of an audience. I had always been fond of Christina Perri; her music was so independent and inspiring. This song was by far my favourite of hers, because the lyrics naturally called out to me. I couldn’t figure out why.

One step closer.

I positioned myself in the centre of the stage, my eyes travelling upwards as I froze, preparing for the chorus. As soon as it began my leg was in the air,  my arms above my head, and I was moving from side to side, from left to right, adding as much passion and empathy to the dance as I possibly could.

I have died every day waiting for you.

Darling, don’t be afraid;

I have loved you for a thousand years.

I’ll love you for a thousand more.

I stopped again, this time at the edge of the stage. The piano tune played and as choreographed, I felt Matt’s strong arms encircle my waist, causing me to turn around as the male lyrics began.  He led me across the centre of the stage, his eyes unblinking. It was an advantage for us both that we were really good friends. We weren’t interested in each other in that way; he had...other interests. Well, if we were talking about gender, he actually had very similar interests. Either way, we knew each other so well that we could form a bond when we were dancing together; Mrs Carter had said so herself. Matt knelt down and I leant my body towards him, slowly lifting my right leg up until it had formed a vertical line with my left leg.

I will be brave.

I will not let anything take away,

What’s standing in front...of me.

I brought my right leg in quickly and then kicked it up, this time over Matt’s shoulder. It settled there and then he lifted me up, beginning the series of compound lifts for the second chorus. The song progressed, the music rising in a crescendo until it was utterly fortissimo, and as he placed me down back onto the stage we ran to its edge together and mirrored each other’s actions for the bridge. I caught a glimpse of Mrs Carter’s expression as I had a moment to pause and her face showed nothing more than ecstasy and delight. It ensured me that we were performing it perfectly, which made me smile as I danced a solo, Matt stood at my side.

I have died every day waiting for you.

Darling, don’t be afraid;

I have loved you for a thousand years,