Chapter 50

“What?” I asked. Had I heard right? Megan was missing? Megan? Missing? My eyes scanned over Kristen, her shaking hands, concerned expression. Holy crap. This was real.

“Oh my God,” I whispered, not knowing what else to say. I blinked and focused on it. Missing. MISSING. Which only spoke one name to me: Lee. Her jackass ex-boyfriend, who I couldn’t help but be very afraid of...I was afraid for HER. I took off, grabbing my bag from a nearby table and pulling out my phone from one of the pockets.

“Car!” Harry called. I turned to see him staring at me, his expression full of dread.

“I have to find her!” I called and spun away from him before he could say anything else. I pushed open the door of the club, my eyes darting from side to side in search of her. I dialled her number on my phone and sucked in a sharp, ragged breath. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Voicemail.

Dammit. I carried on running, further away from the club and closer towards the edge of town. It was a Saturday night, so it was busy. I pushed myself through the sea of drunk, foul-smelling bodies, having no idea at all where I was heading. Was time was it? I tried ringing megan again, and again, before checking the clock on my phone: 12:40. I turned the corner onto a less busy street, though still received some patronising looks. People could be so cranky when they were drunk. ‘Shut up Carly and find Megan!’ My voice screamed at me. God, it was right. I stopped and dialled her number for about the fifth, focusing on the dead sound. As the line slowly rung I heard the faint sound of a phone close by, and I focused on it. Megan. That was Megan’s ring tone. Where was it coming from? Further down the road... somewhere near the bottom of the road. I sprinted in the direction of it, trying to drown out the voices of other people and concentrate on that one sound.

I found myself gradually slowing down with each stride I took closer to the enclosed, overpowering street. I could hear voices and as I reached the corner, my head tilted around slightly to see the scene.

"How's life then meg?" his cold voice whispered, sending shivers down my spine.

"Don't, Lee," Megan said through muffled sobs. She was crying.

"Don't what?" he laughed. She didn't respond. He continued.

"You know, you really need to stand up for yourself. Otherwise people like me can just walk all over you. Not that I'm complaining," he laughed. Megan cried quietly and he continued amusing himself. I concentrated and after no one spoke for several seconds I realised it was because he was moving closer to her. I couldn't stay here any longer. I turned the corner, coming into their view. This place stunk of...I didn't dare think of what had been smoked here - and pieces of glass covered the murky floor from drunk night outs. The complete opposite of where we had been just ten minutes ago. At the sound of my heels both Lee and Megan turned their attention to me, one frowning whilst the other smirked.

"Carly!" Lee cried. I caught a scent of his breath, and it reeked. He was most definitely drunk. Eugh. "How nice of you to join us," he added, turning his attention away from Megan and stepping towards me. I instantly stepped backwards, the glass on the floor crackling beneath my feet, causing me to sway slightly.

"Don't touch me."

"Oh, I see! Coming to save Megan?" he laughed, stepping back. "Be my guest!"

My phone blasted, cutting the tension. I lifted my hand up quickly, pressing the answer button before it was snatched away from me and thrown metres across the floor. Was this guy kidding? There was something seriously wrong with him, not just the control of alcohol. He was...frightening. The type of person that could get away with murder.

Seeing no other choice, I bolted towards Megan who was leaning against the graffitied wall of the back of a club, staring at me in shock. But he got there first. He came face to face with me and I could see his sharp, defined features up close. His hands closed in on my arms and my heart froze. What the hell had I done? What could I do to make this situation better? If anything I had made it worse. The way he was looking at me...I had never been more terrified in my life. It was a look of satisfaction, need. I let out a piercing scream.

***

"SHIT!" I screamed, slamming my phone against the steering wheel. "Straight to voicemail AGAIN! Why would I let her run off like that!?" I closed my eyes, gritting my teeth together and trying to get out of my head the continuing images of Carly being in danger.

"We'll find her, Harry! She can't have gotten far!" Kristen said at my side. By the tone of her voice, she didn't sound so sure herself.

"What about Megan?" I asked. Megan, as well. The thought of that Lee guy taking her scared the hell out of me. I couldn't even imagine what Zayn was going through. But he would find her. And I would find Carly. Unlocking my phone for about the tenth time, I dialled her number and sucked in a sharp, ragged breath when it began to ring. I was expecting it to cut off or either go to voicemail again, though it didn't. The ringing stopped and was replaced by loud voices and movement.

"Car!" I screamed as loud as I could, no doubt scaring the hell out of Kristen. I didn't care. I fiddled with the phone and switched it onto loud speaker so that she could hear. A crash suddenly sounded through the speaker, and realisation hit me that her phone had been thrown to the floor. Heels began to run, and I could hear the sound of glass breaking as they did. But they were abruptly cut off. Only when I heard her scream I knew that it was Carly. This was too much.

"Bad move!" a deep voice said.

"Oh my God," Kristen whispered beside me. How was she even speaking? My voice was gone. They were in danger. Megan and...Car. My Car. Trapped, and I had no clue where.

***

"Bad move!" Lee said.

I turned my frightened stare away from him and towards Megan. She had stood up, and I could see every ounce of trying not to shake or break down. Running over to us, her hands grabbed Lee’s shirt and she shoved him hard.

"Stay away from my friend!" she screamed, trying to push him, though he grabbed hold of her hands and trapped her from doing so. I closed the space between us and grabbed Megan, pulling her away from him. She was shaking frantically, and as my eyes scanned over her petite, vulnerable frame, realisation hit me. I gasped out loud.

"Why didn't you tell us?!" I hissed, my eyes wide with both shock and fear. She shook her head, tears falling from the corners of her eyes.

"I thought it was over," she sobbed. Oh my god. I looked back at Lee who was analysing us both. We were in serious trouble. We needed help! I looked around for something; anything, that would allow someone to find us. I caught sight of a sign on the fire exit door: Blue Bar. That was a weird name. Not much inspiration there. Maybe that's why it was so deserted. My eyes scanned the street we were stuck on, and froze at the sight of my phone. My phone. I'd pressed answer right before he had snatched it out of my hands. Was the call still connected? Who was there? Instinct told me it was Harry. Oh no. Harry. I had only one option.

"Why did you come here?" I shouted at Lee. "Could have picked a better place than the back of the BLUE BAR!" I screamed towards the phone. He followed my eyes and clicked on when he saw it lit up on the floor. His eyes blazed with anger and he ran over, standing on it, causing it to smash to pieces.

***

"Why did you come here?" she shouted. "Could have picked a better place than the back of the BLUE BAR!" She had done that on purpose. She knew we could hear.

"Go!" Kris screamed next to me and I stepped on it, the sound of the tyres screeching across the floor already being a mile away.

***

Lee turned back to us and closed the gap in two long strides. He stood inches in front of me, the foul smell radiating from him. He pushed Megan away whilst keeping his eyes on me. I didn't dare look away. I didn't want to show how petrified I was of him. His hands suddenly caressed my hair and I sucked in a sharp breath at his cold touch. What the hell was he doing?!

"I always liked brunettes," he commented, smiling slyly before throwing me to the floor. I guess I wasn't expecting it so didn't prepare myself. I hit the dirty concrete and winced as pain hit my head. Jesus. I lifted my hands up and shook them frantically after finding shards of glass clinging on, cuts everywhere. God, that hurt so badly. I looked over at Megan, who was in the exact same position as me, lacerations running across her skin. Oh no. Lee hovered above me looking like a predator, a grin tugging at the corners of his dominant mouth. I scrambled backwards and my heels fell off, causing pain to hit my feet as they pushed against the floor, as far away from him as possible. He moved forwards as I moved backwards, following my every move like a shadow. He crouched down and his hand clasped around my ankle, holding me in place. Okay, now I was the one shaking. I tried to pull away though his grip was too tight; he was too strong. He pulled me towards him and I bit my lip, realising that tears were now flowing from my eyes. He was literally a monster, which was proven when he smiled with triumph. I wanted to knock it from his disgusting face. Fortunately, I didn’t have to, because someone did for me.

Lee’s hold teared away from me and I sighed aloud, closing my eyes. I quickly opened them though to see Harry straddling him against the wall. My eyes widened and I gasped, standing up immediately. I tried to run over but I couldn’t; hands were stopping me.

“Car, stop!” Kris shouted down my ear. I didn’t.

“Harry!” I shouted, though he didn’t respond. He carried on punching Lee. Oh God. My head hurt so, so badly. I turned and looked at Kristen.

“Have you called the police?”

“Of course I have!”

As if on cue, a siren wailing began to rise in a crescendo until it became so loud my eardrums felt as though they were going to burst. I pulled free of Kristen’s hold on me and ran over to Harry, who was shouting fluent cursed words in Lee’s face. Grasping at his arms, I attempted pulling him away.

“Harry, stop!” I screamed. “The police are here!”

He quickly turned around to face me, blood running from his nose. I sucked in a sharp breath at the sight of him like that. Oh god. My hands snaked around his torso and I pulled him back, to which he didn't deny. After me forcing him several metres from Lee, he was suddenly alert, examining every inch of me. His eyes travelled down my body and I shied away, feeling conscious. He looked over me about three times before turning back in Lee’s direction.

“I’ll kill you!” he shouted, his right hand swinging back to send another punch. I closed my eyes, wanting all of this to go away, wanting to be back at Harry’s birthday party, and not here.

“Steady, son!” a rough voice said and I re-opened them to find police officers straddling Harry and Lee. I turned to see Megan crouched several feet away, her face plastered with guilt.

“Meg!” I ran over, and winced at the cuts across me. Jeesh, they hurt. I sat down next to her.

“Oh my God, Carl, you’re head!” her hands covered her mouth, and I drew my thumb up to touch it slightly. A stinging sensation travelled right through me and I cursed under my breath, my hand pulling away as an instant reflex.

“I’m fine,” I lied. “Are you okay?” Her head was alright, though there were still small gashes across the rest of her body. My eyes looked down and noticed her chiffon dress teared, and I sucked in a few sharp breaths.

“Carly, he didn’t-” she began, but I was already up. The scene around us had drastically changed; Harry and Kristen were talking to police officers, and Lee was being escorted to one of the several cars. I ran over, feeling anger boil up inside me. He couldn’t hurt me now, and I felt the need to literally kill him.

“Hey-” Harry started as I strode past, one hand touching my arm. I noticed my heels laying on the floor beside him and so I grabbed them, slipping into them as I half walked, half ran towards the boy being arrested. I stopped at the car and he looked up, still a hint of pleasure in his eyes. He didn’t dare. I brought my leg up and stepped as hard as I could onto his foot with the sharp, high heel of my shoe. I smiled with satisfaction as he let out a pathetic, wimpy cry. Bending close to his face, I looked him right in the eye which seemed to shock him.

“Maybe now you can understand just a speck of what YOU made her feel. Asshole,” I hissed, not even recognising my own voice. I turned and walked away from him, my helpless, shy character coming to surface again. How had I done that? Right now I just felt like closing my eyes and sleeping for an entire week. I turned around to see Kristen comforting Megan, and Harry staring at me, eyebrows raised and eyes slightly wider than normal. Walking towards him, I caught my foot for the second time tonight. I didn't even bother trying to save myself, but thankfully he did. He caught me strongly and I looked up at him, feeling guilt wash over me.

"I'm so sorry," I barely whispered, gently touching his face.

"Car, why the hell are you apologising?" He whispered back. I opened my mouth but no words came out.

“Because you’re party got ruined,” I sighed, staying in his hold.

“That was NOT your fault. I think I speak for both Zayn and myself when I say I want to kill that guy,” he hissed. I looked back to see two police men standing awkwardly, no doubt waiting for an opportunity to speak to both Megan and I. Personally, I wasn’t in the mood. Two police cars were driving away, but were replaced by an ambulance. Oh, thank heavens. Maybe I’d get some painkillers. I’m sure that Harry sensed my relief, because he hoisted me up and turned his head back to look at Megan.

“Come on; let’s get you two to the hospital.”

***

I’m sorry this took me a week to write! It was kind of awkward really because I didn’t want anything serious to happen because I don’t think I could write like that, I’d totally mess the whole story up. I just needed to add something in that was a bit negative; I didn’t want everything to be perfect for another ten chapters if you see? I hope you guys like it, please drop a comment and a vote - I’d really appreciate it! Lots to look forward to though, *cough*...PARIS. I’ll make sure those chapters are perfect. Oh! Thankyou to my bestie @curlyboyskazzo for the ideas on this & the last chapter – I owe you meg! Haha, until next week! Much love, faye .xo