Chapter 42

"Gab, why is everyone staring?" I whispered as we walked through the main gates of school. She looked around as did I; pretty much the entire yard filled with pupils was looking in our direction and whispering into their friends' ears. I looked back at Gab whose gaze met mine.

"Do I have...like...I don't know-" I stuttered, looking down at my black torn leggings, sweater and green trench coat. "-how's my hair?"

"Very kiera knightly," Gab winked, causing me to forget everyone around me and burst out laughing. Oh how we loved to base our lives around Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging.

"Aaron Johnson," I cried, plastering a depressed expression upon my face. Gab laughed.

"Most depressing torture known to woman kind."

I looked back up, smiling now though four girls walking towards us distracted my mood. From what I remembered, I think they were in year 10, and not exactly the nice kind of girls you wish to get along with. Think...school skirts showing half their asses, foundation spread across their faces, clearly ignoring the 'no make up' rule and eyebrows as thick as caterpillars. Overall, I wasn't trying to sound horrible, but a pretty scary look. Year 10's version of the plastics.

They stopped short in front of us, their heavy eyelashes looking straight through Gab and I as we stared back, confused. The one in the middle coughed slightly before stepping forward and standing up to me. It didn't help her that I was a few inches taller.

"What is your problem?" she asked, raising her eyebrows. Wait, what?

"Excuse me?" I asked, confused and wondering whether she had me mistaken for someone else - I'd never even spoken to her before!

"And you-" another one spoke up, standing to face Gab.

"-me?" she interrupted, sounding as puzzled as I had.

I looked down at the girl standing before me. Her hair was a golden blonde colour, perfect, and tied back in a messy pony tail and curled. She was holding a juicy couture bag and I nearly stepped back - I really was not comfortable around girls like this. My eyes became drawn to her hand clasped around the handle on her leather bag and they immediately widened after seeing what had been scrawled across it in pen: Harry. With a heart. Uh-oh. Oh! Now I understood! Oh...oh no, she was going to kill me. And I presumed the other girl was going to kill Gab. I didn't exactly like the looks the two other girls were giving us either. Why did we always get into awkward situations?

"What about me?" Gab asked the girl. "Go on, what's your problem?" she raised her voice slightly. I looked down, I definitely didn't have the will power to speak like that.

"My problem? What's your problem!? You've taken him from me!"

"Who?!"

"Liam!" she shouted in Gab's face. Oh no Gab, please don't, please don't, please-

"Haha!" Why. Did. She. Have. To. Laugh. I hung my head more, really not wanting to get into an argument. I was no good at defending myself, at all. The blonde in front of me stepped closer, her voice whispering in my ear which made me shiver.

"You're trash," she whispered, laughing slightly. "I genuinely don't know what he sees in you." I didn't have to ask who she was referring to; it was obviously Harry.

"I don't even know you," I surprised myself by speaking up. "Why are you speaking to me?"

"Because I want you to know that although you may have lots of followers on twitter and girls will come up to you asking for pictures, they all secretly hate you. Bitch," she finished, scowling at me and turning to face her friends. Gab was arguing with the other girl, which I hated.

"Come on Gab," I reassured her, trying to pull her away but she wouldn't budge. "They're not worth it."

"We're not worth it?" another spoke up. Oh god. "Who do you think you are?"

"Everything okay here?" I heard behind us and so turned around to see Sam, Soph and Tom heading our way. I couldn't even 'aw' at the fact that Sam and Sophie were holding hands because these girls were still distracting me. The girls shuffled slightly, glaring at Gab and I as they turned to walk away. The blonde winked at Tom.

"What was that?" Soph asked as her and Sam came to stand beside me. I looked past them and at the pupils still looking at us. The boys didn't look bothered. Some girls smiled at me, in which I returned. Others...not so much.

"Nothing." I looked back at her. "Lets go inside."

From Gab's stance and my tone, nobody said anything else, so we headed for the sixth form building without another word. As soon as we reached our form class, I let out a long-awaited sigh, relieved that I didn't have to go back out there until the end of the day. I took my seat at the back, looking over at Gab who was still deep in thought.

"What's wrong with us?" she snapped, causing me to break out of my trance and look towards her.

"What? Nothing Gab," I breathed quietly, moving my chair closer to hers as she pulled me in for a hug.

"I don't want people to hate me," I thought aloud after neither of us spoke.

"Me neither," she whispered in reply, pulling away from me though still holding my gaze. "We just have to ignore them, okay?"

"Okay," I smiled, nodding. "Just smile and wave," I winked, causing her to laugh quietly.

"Hey!" Kristen ran over to us, almost knocking one of the tables over on the way.

"Whoa!" I laughed as she sat down beside me. "What's the rush?"

"I thought I was late," she looked around, seeing no form teacher and all of us looking at her weirdly. "Which apparently I'm not," she laughed then met my gaze.

"So how was Holmes Chapel?" she asked, bubbling with excitement.

"You went to Holmes Chapel!?" Sophie practically flew over to our seats, leaving Sam confused and alone.

"Yeah," I laughed as she stopped in front of me.

"Okay...I saw the papers and was like...oh my god, that's my friend! We seriously need to talk in English lit," she raised her eyebrows.

"Okay!" I said brightly. "But I think we have one more thing to talk about," I looked past her at Sam who was watching us and so I waved, winking at him. His eyebrows pulled together and he shook his head.

"You're weird," he called over, and I smiled, looking back at Soph who was now blushing.

"Bring on English baby!" I cheered and she giggled, walking back over to Sam.

"Go on!" Kris said as I turned to face them. Gab and her were both looking at me with hopeful expressions, as if they were dying to know something. Oh, I got it.

"We didn't," I laughed after reading their minds. Gab's shoulders dropped and Kristen's frozen posture relaxed.

"Really?" they said in unison.

"Yes! Well I won't lie, I think it nearly happened-" I paused as their eyes widened. "NEARLY," I stressed, continuing. "But we kind of got...cut off."

"Why?" Kris asked.

"His family walked in," I answered and they burst out laughing. Gab clutched at the table trying to breathe. I looked up to see the whole class looking in our direction. Then I replayed what I had said and began to laugh with them.

"Oh my god, no!" I cried. "As if! They walked in the front door while we were upstairs, I think I'd have died of embarrassment if they would have!"

"Carly, you're one hysterical girl," Gab said. Kristen nodded.

"Harry Styles' girl."

***

"What was that about in form?" Sam asked as we walked into music together.

"Oh right," I laughed. "Soph and I just had a long talk in English."

"About what?" he asked.

"Just...relationships," I finally said, searching for the right word.

"Do I dare ask?"

"No. Girl secrecy code anyway...I couldn't tell," I admitted, smiling as we took two empty seats.

"Okay class!" Mr Burty smiled. "The Christmas holidays are OVER, so it's back to work! I think you'll enjoy this next assignment though," he smiled, explaining to us what we had to do.

"As part of this music A level, you have to prepare solo and group pieces to perform to an audience. You are given two weeks to prepare and we've hired a theatre in the centre of London where the show will be held. I've organised for professional cameramen to come along to record you all so your performances can then be sent off to the examination board. Of course your friends and family are welcome to come, tickets will be released next friday. We expect a good audience-" he looked at me as he said that and I raised my eyebrows. Was that a hint? "-so I want you to have good performances! I want you to each do a solo and a duet, more if you wish but those are the required standards. Questions?"

Joe, the male 'IT' guy of our year who was a good friend of ours raised his hand.

"What date is the concert sir?"

"January 20th, exactly two weeks today," he smiled. "Each of your music lessons up until then is time to prepare. So, off you go! And don't waste time, these lessons aren't sitoffs!"

The small sized class began to move around and arrange themselves into groups. I knew almost everyone in this class really well, though I found myself staying where I was and turning to face Sam. I began to think through my head of different songs, there were so many. My eyes met his patient gaze and I smiled, thinking of the perfect one.

"Would you play for me?" I asked, motioning to the guitar sitting near us. He smiled brightly.

"Of course."

"Carly?" I heard and so turned around, finding the source of the voice. It was Joe.

"Hey Joe!" I smiled as he sat down beside Sam and I.

"Hey," he smiled. "I heard you got a boyfriend," he said. Oh great...I thought this was supposed to be a music lesson.

"Yup," I smiled.

"Such a shame really. I can't work my amazing flirting techniques on you anymore," he pulled an over the top sad expression in which I laughed at.

"I bet Kristen would love it," I joked.

"My new victim then," he winked. "Anyway, I get that you two will be doing something together for this which will be amazing but I was thinking we could do a duet Carly?" he asked, genuinely smiling and not putting on that smart but funny act he did most of the time. I stuttered slightly as I spoke.

"I...ye-yeah okay, that sounds great!" I smiled, genuinely meaning it. Joe beamed and next to me I heard a chair scraping. I looked to my left to see Sam standing up.

"You two get started today, I'm going to do another one with Kyle anyway so I'll work with him this lesson," Sam smiled.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yeah! Decide on a song at the weekend and we can start ours next week," he said and I agreed. Walking over to sit beside Kyle, I smiled and turned back to face Joe.

"So, what artists do you like?" I asked. "Beside rappers," I added, laughing.

He laughed too and hesitated before he spoke.

"I...I really like coldplay."

"Really!?" I sat up, surprised. "I love coldplay! Do you have the new album?"

"Yeah! It's amazing! You?" he said.

"Of course! I just love every song, the lyrics are so inspiring and beautiful. Plus Chris Martin's voice is brilliant."

"Agreed!" he beamed. "Have you heard princess of china featuring Rihanna?"

I nodded. "Yep, one of my favourites." I paused, figuring what he was getting at. "You want to do that song?"

"It's up to you. I was just thinking then that it's for two voices so we could both sing the vocals and harmonise the chorus really well. Plus you sung Rihanna amazing at the last talent show so who better than you to sing with me?" he raised his eyebrows. "What do you think?"

"I think...yes! I'd love to, thanks Joe."

"No, thank YOU! Should we go and print off the lyrics and start practicing?"

"Sure thing brotha."

***