Chapter 69

“Harry, no!” I shouted as he handed the money to the cashier.

“Yes!” He laughed, grabbing hold of the bags as she handed them to him.

“Thank you,” he smiled before leading the way out of the shop. I sighed and thanked the girl before following him out. As I stepped outside I watched as Harry struggled with the numerous bags he was trying to hold.

“Could you hold these, please?” He asked, holding some of the bags in my direction. I crossed my arms and shook my head.

“Nope.”

“Come on, Car,” he whispered. “They’re yours.”

“I can’t accept them, Harry,” I quietly said. “Unless you let me pay.”

“Okay,” he rushed, handing them to me. “You can give me the money later.”

‘Liar.’

I knew that he was lying, though I didn’t press the matter. I took hold of the bags and thanked him. He pulled out a pair of ray bans from his jean pocket and slim them on before tugging his hat further over his face. I then mimicked his actions, adjusting my bowler hat and sliding on a pair of dark, blackened out shades, too. After our public incident consisting of us running away from everyone, we had taken the subway down to SoHo and strolled around New York’s best vintage stores. I knew Harry’s style: urban vintage, and so wasn’t surprised at all when he had purchased lots of clothes. What had surprised me was the fact that he had bought me clothes too. I snapped out of my thoughts and looked up at the clear white sky through my sunglasses. Did I feel insane walking around in the middle of November in them? Yes. But if someone spotted Harry and I and snapped a picture, I dreaded to know what the press would come up with. After all, we were just mutual companions, and mutual companions could go out together for the day, right? Jesus, I couldn’t even convince myself.

“Looks like a storm is on its way,” Harry commented at my side. As if hearing his words, the sound of thunder suddenly filled our ears. I looked up at him and laughed.

“I think you’re right,” I said. “What time is it?”

He looked down at his watch before meeting my eyes.

“Twelve thirty,” he answered. “Wanna get some lunch?”

“You read my mind,” I laughed. “How about Pizza? There’s a great place called Lombardi’s a few blocks away.”

“Let’s do it!” he grinned. “We’ll catch a taxi; I have a feeling we’d get drenched otherwise.”

“Okay,” I smiled before running to the edge of the road. We caught a cab and were outside the cute Italian restaurant in no time, running inside before we were caught by the rain. I asked for a table for two and the waiter smiled, leading us to an isolated table that was out of sight of the other customers. Perhaps he knew. Either way, I was grateful. We sat down and ordered some soft drinks, thanking the waiter when he returned with them.

“Are you ready to order?” he smiled.

“Yes, just two Pepperoni pizza’s, please,” Harry smiled.

“Two?” the waiter laughed. “One’s enough.”

“He’s right,” I cut in. “One pizza here is bigger than the two of us together.”

“Okay, one it is then,” Harry laughed, shaking his head. I was thankful that he was wearing a beanie, hiding his perfect curls that would usually be bouncing right now. As the waiter left us I turned my attention to Harry.

“Can I take these off?” I quietly asked, signalling to my ray bans and hat. Harry grinned and nodded, taking his off too. He dragged his hand through his hair and I quickly looked away; I didn’t want him to catch me staring at his hair; that would just look...weird.