Chapter 2: Jay

I was so distracted by the cute little brunette and how she kept running her teeth across her bottom lip that I barely noticed where we had ended up. We stopped in front of the Jesse Harris building and I glanced over Emily's head and sure enough I caught a glimpse of Lucy walking down the steps right towards me.

Shit.

I knew there was no way I was going to get away before she saw me. Instead, I knew I had to say goodbye to the hottie in front of me and face the devil.

"Until Wednesday," I looked back down into the green eyes of this brown hair beauty. She smiled a bright smile up at me and damned if she didn't start nibbling on her bottom lip again. I raised my eyebrow at her as I looked her over once more. The white shorts she wore were tight and showed off her sexy tan legs. She gave me a quick wave then bounced up the steps. I wasn't quite ready to part company with her, but damned if her ass didn't look good swaying up the steps.

"Hi, Jay! You waited for me," a shrill voice pulled my gaze away from the brunette's ass. And just like that, my mood turned sour. Lucy was standing in front of me, her curly black hair down around her shoulders and a crooked grin on her face. She was babbling words at me, but I had no idea what she was saying, my mind still on Emily.

"I'm glad you are here. I am done with class. Want to grab dinner?"

I sighed and reluctantly tossed my arm over her shoulder. I didn't want to deal with this or her today, but I knew it was now or never.

"No, Luce," I shook my head and started to lead her away. The last thing I wanted was Emily to see me with Lucy and get the wrong idea. "Remember, we broke up. I'm not your boyfriend anymore. I need you to come get your stuff from my apartment. You can't keep staying with me."

My relationship with Lucy was complicated to say the least. I wanted her out of my apartment and out of my life. She had her own place, but had set up residents in mine. I told her as gently as I could, as often as I could that we weren't together anymore. Especially after what happened last semester, I couldn't take it anymore. However, she was still in denial that I had broken up with her.

I just needed a little time to sort out myself. I needed my own space back. I needed to get laid. Hopefully by Emily and not Lucy.

I guided Lucy down the sidewalk of the university trip, towards my apartment. I knew I had to tread carefully with her, but I just needed this to be over. I knew Lucy would not be happy if she spotted me checking out Emily. No matter our relationship status.

"Why can't I stay with you?" she asked.

I sighed, and rubbed my free hand across his face. I wasn't sure how things with Lucy had gotten so complicated. She was supposed to be only a hookup sophomore year. But things had gotten out of control and I ended up staying with her to appease her and my former best friend.

"Luce, remember I told you that I needed some space," We had walked up Cumberland Ave and stopped at the intersection on Seventeenth. Left would lead to her apartment and straight up the hill and right would lead to my house that I rented with two of my buddies. I stopped and turned to face her. "That space includes me sleeping in my bed alone. I can just be your friend right now, Luce, and that is it." Being her friend was even more than I wanted to offer her, but I was afraid of why cutting her off entirely would do.

"But I don't want you to be just my friend." She pouted.

"You can still call me if you need to talk, you just can't stay with me anymore." I tried to compromise. I didn't want her to hurt herself or anyone else, so I would still be her friend and I would still talk to her if she needed it. I just hoped that it would start to be less and less as time wore on.