Chapter 6: Emily

Friday after class, I made my way back to the apartment to help set up for the party. I had a smile on my face I couldn't wipe away.

When I stepped into the apartment, Mia was dancing around the kitchen.

"Need any help?" I asked. She lifted a full tray of Jell-o shots and stuck them in the fridge.

"Nope. Jell-o shots are made and the keg should be here soon."

"I see the karaoke machine had in fact made an appearance." I motioned to the montrostoy that was going to be the bane of my existence tonight.

"It has indeed. Abe seemed to really like you." Mia transitioned. "Are you interested?"

"In Abe?" I shook my head. "Not really. The guy from my class is supposed to show up tonight." I smiled just thinking about those sexy blue eyes. "We have been talking and flirting all week."

"Well, in case it doesn't work out, Abe can be a nice consolation prize."

I laughed. "I guess he isn't bad for a runner up." I had thought Abe was cute, but he hadn't got my blood flowing like Jay did. "If you are sure you don't need any help, then I think I will go get ready."

"I'm good. I'm about to do the same."

I stood in front of my bathroom mirror touching up my makeup. I had intended to change for the party, but after Jay's comment in class today, I had decided to keep on the sundress. He had a way of making my insides flutter with his smoldering eyes. It was almost as if he was undressing me everytime he looked at me. And I liked it. I liked the way he made me feel.

I applied a light pink lipstick and smacked my lips together. I hoped I got the change to show him what I was wearing under my dress.

As I stepped into my black strappy sandals, I heard Mia and Lucy talking in the living room. It sounded like the keg had arrived.

Just as I was giving myself one more look in the mirror, Mia knocked on my door.

"Your consolation prize has arrived." She stepped into my room and closed the door. "Any word from your other dude?"

"Not yet."

"You look great, by the way."

"Thanks." I smiled just as my cellphone pinged. I snatched it off the nightstand. "It's him." I shrieked.

Jay: You never told me your apartment number. I'm helping with setup at my friend's party but should be able to sneak out in an hour or so.

"What did he say?" Mia asked. "Is he coming?"

I felt jittery as I typed out a reply. The prospect of getting to see him outside class made me all tingly inside.

Emily: Things haven't really got started over here yet, but I am apartment 316.

'Uptown Funk' by Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars started pumping from the living room and I could barely contain my excitement.

"I love this song," I started dancing around my room.

"Then come on." Mia took my hand. "Let's go get this party started."

I let Mia pull me out of my room as I sang along.

As we reached the end of the hall, I heard Lucy's shrill voice.

"Who are you texting?"

"No one." A very familiar voice said back just as my cellphone pinged. I felt my heart sink. I stopped in my tracks.

"Oh shit." I murmured. "No. No. No."

I glanced down at my phone.

Jay: 316? The Standard on 17th? apt 316? That's your apartment?

When I looked back up, those blue eyes locked with mine.

"Fuck." he mouthed.

I turned quickly, pulling Mia back into my room.

"What is it?" Mia asked me frantically.

I fell down on my bed and stared at my phone. Tears burned behind my eyes as the conversation with the girls from earlier in the week came back to me.

"Em, what is wrong?" Mia sat beside me and took my hand.

"What's Lucy's boyfriend's name?"

Mia furrowed her brow. "Jason. Why?"

"Jason." I snorted. "Jay for short."

"Um... yeah, most of us call him Jay. Why?"

I rubbed my fingers across my forehead. "So, that guy I've been telling you about...his name is Jay and he's in our living room right now."

"What!?" Mia exclaimed, jumping off the bed. "He's here? Then why are you hiding?"

"Mia," I shook my head. "Jay. Jason. Lucy's boyfriend. That's who I've been talking to."

Mia's excitement melted away just like mine had when I saw him standing there with Lucy. I'm such a moron. How had I not connected the dots earlier?

"No," Mia shook her head. "How could this happen?"

"I don't know. We met on the first day of class. I was lost and he helped me find my way. Ever since we have had this flirty back and forth banter. He never mentioned having a girlfriend."

"That dirty dog." Mia shook her head.

My cell phone pinged in my hand again. Several messages from Jay scrolled across the screen.

Jay: Fuck. Emily I can explain.

Jay: Please come back out and we can talk.

Jay: It's not what you think.

This time my hands shook when I started to text him, but not with lust, with anger.

Emily: You can explain? My roommate is your fucking girlfriend!!!!!

Emily: Are you kidding me?

Emily: How could you?

Jay: Look, I know you think I'm a complete dick right now. But I am really into you and I would like to hang out with you tonight.

Emily: You're right. You are a dick.

Emily: and no thanks. I heard what she did to the last girl you talked to. I like all my body parts attached thanks. So I'll keep my distance.

Emily: Nice knowing you though.

"I'm so stupid." I fell back on the bed.

"No, he is." Mia said. "Come on. Don't let this ruin your night. You have a very nice consolation prize out there waiting for you."

I groaned. She was right. I couldn't hide in my room all night. I wasn't going to let some guy ruin my first real college party. Instead I was going to go out there and flirt and dance with Abe and make him crazy with jealousy. I would make him regret the day he ever laid eyes on me.