Chapter 37: Emily

Chapter 37: Emily

"This place is beautiful." I gushed as we walked to the entrance of the resort. My hand was placed firmly in Jay's and he rolled my suitcase with his overnight bag tossed over his shoulder. I might have overpacked, just a little.

"I was trying to go for a cabin in the woods, but closer to civilization."

"I would say you nailed it." I stood on my tiptoes to press a kiss to his cheek. The resort was made of wood, with balconies overlooking the Little Pigeon River. I spotted a common area with a firepit and several chairs pulled around it. As we stepped inside the resort, I wandered to the picture glass window, looking out at the view as Jay checked us in. Being here, alone with him felt surreal. Everything he has said in the truck hit me right in the feels. I wanted more than anything to call him mine. I watched as other couples held hands and laughed as they walked up the riverbank. Could we ever be that carefree and happy?

His arm slid around my waist and his face buried in my neck. "All checked in."

I smiled and turned in his arms, wrapping my arms around his neck. He rubbed his nose against mine and my heart flopped.

"We have dinner reservations at 7:30." His voice was low and husky. I looked at the clock over his head.

"Hmmm...that means we have about an hour," I smiled up at him. "And I believe I saw a hot tub out there."

He laughed. "If I see you in a swimsuit there is no way I am going to make it to dinner on time."

I blushed and took his hand in mine. "How about we go up to our room and get settled in then."

"I like that plan."

He led me to the elevator and hit the button for the fourteenth floor.

The room was cozy and large. Wood beams criss-crossed across the ceiling and a wooden bed sat in the center of the room. He pulled me into his arms as soon as we were in the room and kissed me deep and hard.

"Do you have one of those cute little sundressed in that suitcase of yours?" he asked.

"Of course I do."

"Wear that." He planted a kiss on my cheek. "I'll be right back."

"Where are you going?" I pouted. He smiled and winked.

"To make sure a couple things are in place."

I narrowed my eyes at him, but he just smirked and rushed out the door. I rocked back on my heels and stared at the closed door. My chest tightened with worry. What was he going off to do? Was he calling Lucy?

I shook that thought right out of my head. I knew that wasn't true. He hadn't once called her or reached out to her when we were together. It was always the other way around. I pulled my suitcase up on the small settee and unzipped it, clothes spilling out the top. Definitely packed too much. I rummaged around inside until I found the dress I was looking for. I slipped out of my shorts and pulled my top over my head, letting them heap on the floor at my feet. I unhooked my bra and let it join the other garments on the floor. I slipped into a cute, open back pink sundress. The top was baby pink and hugged my breast while the bottom flowed out and was covered in flowers. I took my makeup and headed to the bathroom to make a few touch ups.

I heard the room door open and poked my head out of the bathroom. He held his hand out to me, a glint in his eyes. I stepped out of the bathroom taking his hand. He twirled me around, whistling as he took me in.

"Damn, you're gorgeous." He spun me right into his arms, his mouth pressing to mine. I fell into his arms. Reluctantly he pulled away from me and cleared his throat, adjusting himself. I giggled.