Chapter 27: Emily

The next couple of weeks flew by. Jay and I talked everyday either in person or on the phone and managed to steal moments alone with each other whenever we could. Lucy was still oblivious to his attempts to end things with her and her threats to other girls were becoming bolder. Mia told me every day what a bad idea it was to keep seeing him, but I let it go in one ear and out the other. I had talked to my best friend, Erin about all the developments and she was Team Jay, at least.

I love spending time with him. He makes me laugh and feel special every time we are together. I cherish every moment with him. Even if our moments were often broken up by a call, or text, or an appearance of Lucy.

On a balmy Friday morning after our first class, Jay grabbed my hand before we walked outside.

"Come over tonight. Will and Joe are going home this weekend for a football reunion and we'll have the place to ourselves."

I pressed my lips together, and crossed my arms across my stomach, shuffling from side to side.

"What about your girlfriend?"

He sighed. "I wish you would stop calling her that."

I raised my eyebrow at him. "I will when she stops calling you her boyfriend." I realized it came out a little more snarky than I intended. But the truth was I was tired of Lucy's inference. I wish we could see what this relationship could be if she wasn't around. Of course, then I immediately felt guilty for thinking that when I knew what her past entailed.

He tugged at my arms until I uncrossed them, bringing my hands to his lips and kissing them.

"Lucy has plans with Casey tonight. She will be occupied and we will have time alone together."

"I don't know, Jay." I bit my lip. He grunted and squeezed my hands, taking a step closer.

"Just say yes."

"I'm going to be late to class." I placed my hand on his chest and pushed him back. "I have to go." But I didn't move. He stepped closer and pushed a strand of my hair behind my ear. He brushed his lips against mine and it was like a match striking the embers that burned inside me.

"Tell you what," he said. "Ty is working the Sunsphere tonight. Let me take you out for dinner and then you can decide if you want to come home with me afterwards."

I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face. "Are you asking me out on a date?"

He smirked. "I am." His arm slid around my waist and his lips touched mine again. "What do you say?"

"Okay," I agreed as a cocoon of butterflies erupted in my stomach.

"Good." He kissed my cheek, then took my hand. I smiled up at him as we walked out of the building together.

"Should I pick you up?" He asked as we started down the hill.

"Maybe I should just meet you." I didn't want to push my luck.

"At seven? Base of the Sunsphere?"

I nodded, pausing at the crosswalk with him. He squeezed my hand one last time as we headed across the street. He let it go as we got to the other side, but still stood close enough to me that I could smell his cologne.

"So I'll see you tonight then?" he asked. I nodded.

"God, I want to kiss you right now."

"Save it." I said looking over his shoulder. "Here comes your girlfriend." I had spotted Lucy and Casey walking down the steps behind him, right towards us.