Chapter 21: Jay

"Fuck, Fuck, Fuck." I leaned forward on the couch and ran my hands through my hair. I had fucked up. I knew I had. I said the wrong thing and now she was ghosting me. I was desperate to make this right. I barely noticed as Joe wandered through as I was frantically texting her.

Jay: Em, please. I'm sorry.

Jay: Please don't shut me out.

Jay: Please say what it is you want to say. I'm sure I deserve it.

Jay: Tell me what to do to make this right.

I stared down at the phone, willing her to answer me. When it became obvious that she wasn't going to answer, I let out a heavy sigh and threw my head into the couch. I closed my eyes and scrubbed my hands across my face. I'm such a screw up. I was completely messing things up with her. I wasn't handling any of this well.

"You alright, man?" I heard Joe ask.

I opened my eyes and glanced over at him. He was standing in the kitchen drinking milk straight from the carton. I slowly shook my head and squeezed my eyes shut.

"Is this about that cute brunette?" Joe asked. I crossed my arms across my chest and glared at him. Joe laughed. "Dude, you've got it bad for her, don't you?

I felt the muscle clenching in my jaw. I pressed my lips together and quickly stood. I knew what I had to do. I had to make this right. I couldn't lose her.

I heard Joe's laughter as I rushed out the door.

I walked as fast as I could up the road to her complex. I bypassed the elevator and headed straight to the stairs. I raised my hand to knock on the door, but paused. Maybe coming here was a mistake. What if she wouldn't see me? I took a deep breath and shook out my nerves.

I knocked on the door and waited. Mia swung it open. She crossed her arms over her chest and tried to prevent me from coming in.

"Lucy's not here." She said

"We both know I'm not here to see Lucy." I pushed past her into the apartment.

"Jay, you really need to leave her alone." Mia called out. I paused on the way to Emily's room, but didn't turn around. I pressed my hand to my chest and rubbed. I closed my eyes and blew out a breath.

"You know as well as I do how things are going to end up here."

But I didn't know. I had never had this aching in my chest before. I never cared this much for anyone besides my family. I knew that Emily was the one I wanted. Even if I was going about this the wrong way.

"I can't." I turned to face Mia, my voice shaking. "I can't fucking get her out of my head."

Mia took a few steps towards me and poke me in my chest. "Try harder." Her eyes narrowed me. I took a step back and shook my head.

"I can't. I'm sorry." I turned back around and lightly knocked on Emily's door. I heard Mia huffing behind me, then heard her slam into her bedroom. I rested my head against the door.

"Emily. Let me in." When there was no response I rapped my knuckles against the door one more time. "Emmy, baby. Please." I reached for the knob and was surprised when it opened. I stepped into her room and looked around. She wasn't here.

"Fuck." I cursed under my breath, taking a couple steps into her room. That was when I heard the shower running. I blew out a breath in relief and sat down on her bed to wait.

After what felt like an hour, I heard the shower cut off. I looked up at the ceiling and took in a deep breath. I leaned forward, resting my hands on my knees. She emerged from the bathroom with a lavender mist in her wake. She looked so fucking adorable in her pink fluffy bathrobe and matching slippers. Her hair was wet and I could tell from the redness around her eyes that she had been crying.