Chapter 4

Derek couldn't sleep. So he snuck into Stiles room, and sat on the edge of the bed. "Stiles?"

"Yeah." Stiles said turning over."

"I'm sorry for waking you, I can't sleep."

"It's okay, I was having problems sleeping too, do you want me to make you some hot chocolate. I find that always helps. It's my mum special recipe."

"Sure, if you think it will help."

"Okay, come on then." Stiles went down to the kitchen, Derek following.

"I could have just slept in your bed, that would have helped." Derek smirked.

Stiles laughed. "I bet, but My dad would shoot you?."

"No he wouldn't, I think he likes me. Besides, he doesn't seem bothered about us being mates."

"That's because you made a promise not to touch me until I turned 18"

"I still don't understand that. I get the whole human thing and you being underage and your dad being the sheriff, I do, but I don't get how I.. older me can bare to be in the same room as you."

"Oh gee thanks."

"No not like that, I mean your scent is driving me crazy, I don't get how he can control himself around you."

"I knew what you meant." Stiles chuckled. "He has good restraint I guess. Plus he is older, and has more control over his wolf now."

Derek shook his head. "It must be killing him on the inside. Knowing you are our mate, and not acting on it."

"Really, he is hurting by staying away from me."

"He must do. Your scent will be enough to keep him sane for now, but even I struggled just being in the next room to you. I needed to be close to you."

"Oh, I didn't know how he would be coping with all this. I mean you.....god this is so confusing. You are both the same person but I keep talking like you are two totally different people."

"Well in a way we are. I have no recollection of my older self. So when you talk about me, older me, its like it is a different person. Does that make sense."

"It does. I can tell you about him, if you want."

"Aren't you tired, I woke you up in the middle of the night?."

"No, like I said, I was struggling to sleep too, and I'm wide awake now." Stiles said.

"Okay then, tell me about your Derek."

Stiles told him everything, about when they first met in the woods, how she harbored him in her room, like a fugitive, when Laura's body was found. How they saved each others lives time and time again.

"How did we save each other."

"Well, there was the time you saved me from your uncle Peter. It was just after Laura had died and Peter had woken from his coma. He told you about being poisoned when he was in the hospital, well his nurse rang you up, to tell you that he was awake and that you needed to get to the hospital. I was with you at the time, so we both went together. When we arrived, Peter was awake, but he didn't recognize you. He attacked you, and knocked you down. Then he came for me, but you managed to get up and jumped in front of me, saved me. But you ended up a little torn up. He finally came round, when he fully locked onto your scent. But what ever the nurse had been poisoning him with, really did a number on him. We believe that she wanted you to come so he would kill you. We found out later that she was working for Gerard."

"I can't ever imagine Peter being like that. I mean he is a manipulative bastard sometimes, but he is my best friend. Or was. I don't know now."

"You are still really close now. I mean you have had fights, but what family doesn't. I know you love each other."

Derek smiles at that . "So, how did you save me?."

"Oh, there are so many times I have saved your ass." Stiles laughed.

"Oh really."

"Well, there is the time you were shot and you were walking around with a wolfsbane bullet in your arm. It was Kate by the way. I ended up driving your half dead, ass to my house, hiding you from Kate finishing the job, whilst Scott tracked down another bullet to cure you. He had to go into the lions den and all."

"Who's Scott?." Derek asked a little jealous.

"He is my best friend. He was bitten by a rogue Alpha, and he is now your beta. Anyway, he is dating Allison Argent. Kate's Niece, but don't worry, she is good, like her dad."

"So what your saying is that Scott saved me." Derek smirked.

Stiles hit him on arm. "No, he may have got the bullet, but I looked after you until he came back with it, and I was the one who actually cured you with it." Stiles said.

Derek saw the look on Stiles face. "What is it, your not not telling me everything."

"That was when you told me you loved me, and that I was your mate. You hadn't planned on telling me, until I turned 18, but you weren't lucid, and I guess you thought you were going to die."

Before Derek could say anything, she carried on. "So anther story where you save me, was when one of your betas was about to shred me into itty bitty pieces, and you jumped between us, all red eyes and roaring, and forcing him to submit. Oh... and then there was that time you were paralyzed by the Kanima and fell in the pool at the school." she recalled. "That was some top-shelf pissed-off Derek Hale right there. Such a grump. You'd figure I would have been the grouchy one. I mean, I had to tread water holding up your heavy wolfy ass for more than 2 freaking hours before Scott finally showed up to help us. And, let me tell you,  you as an adult? WAY heavier. Like easily an extra 50 lbs. of muscle."

Derek's eyes widened in surprise. His mouth dropped open as he eyed her slender form in amazement. "You held me up...?"

"For 2 mother fucking hours." she confirmed, causing Derek to chuckle. "Yeah. Tell me about it. I don't know how the hell I managed it, either. Just pure, stubborn will, I suppose. I swear I still get muscle cramps remembering that night." She winced for dramatic effect and massaged her bicep.

"Wait. Why didn't you just run?"

"Well.....you did tell me to run... begged me even, but then you were hit with the venom and I knew you were gonna be helpless in less than a minute. That venom is no joke. I had already been hit with it a few days earlier. I knew you were going to be down for the count."

Derek sputtered and held up his hand, unable to process what he was hearing. "What the hell? You had already somehow managed to survive it once and you didn't run when you saw it? You do realize you're human, right?"

"It has occurred to me," Stiles said rolling her eyes. "But the Kanima was literally right freaking there and could have killed you as soon as you were down. I tried to help you get away... but then you fell into the pool, so I jumped in. What was I supposed to do, just let you drown? And as for Scott, he was off with his girlfriend and her psycho family trying to find the bestiary. He actually hung up on me when I tried to call him for help. I had one freaking chance to call – hell, I had to let you fall under the water to do it. And he. Hung. UP. Ugh." She shook her head. "I had to toss the phone again to pull you back up to the surface. So, yeah, we were stuck after that. It was just lucky for us that the Kanima was scared of water. And I didn't talk to Scott for one week. I was so mad at him."

Derek sat back in his seat heavily, eyeing Stiles in bewilderment. It seemed more like he was lucky he had found himself in the presence of such a determined human that night.

Stiles continued her trip down memory lane, recalling fights with all manner of supernatural creatures and hunters. When he pressed her for information on her dealings with the Argents, however, she became evasive for the first time. Her answers became increasingly clipped and she did her best to steer the conversation away from the subject but he had latched on and eventually dragged a confession out of her.