- The rose to my thorns -

- A/n: this is a rise raph x gender neutral hanahaki reader

'Well this sucks,' You thought to yourself, wiping the crimson blood that trickled down from the corner of your mouth, your lips stained cherry red as you wiped away the bloody mess with a tissue.... You looked down into the sink, your hunched over form, cringing at the horrible metallic taste overtaking your mouth..... Once again the hacking started, till finally letting out that last cough, you felt something lodge itself inside your throat. Impatience getting the better of you, you grabbed the flower from your throat, pulling out a fully grown rose;was it wite before or was it always red, you didn't know and you didn't really care, the flower in your hands stared back at you as you stared at it, the blood splattered on the white marble sink leaving a haunting reminder as if the rose was taunting you.... Your eyes widened in response to this, and feeling the delicate petals in your own pale, weak fingers made you let out a panicked breath. You had never coughed up a fully-grown flower....yet at least, but this was clearly a sign that things were getting worse, much worse, worse than that time when you first met him.... How could he ever love you? He wasn't even aware of your feelings, after all you were only friends with him..... Sighing, you sat back from the sink, wiping the sweat from your forehead. You couldn't even wish that you weren't in love with him, because he was everything you ever wanted from a man. Kind, caring, selfless, compassionate, The bravest man you ever met. But there was only one problem, the problem of why he would have no idea who you were."(Y/N)? Are you in there?" April's voice rang out through your room, the door to the bathroom wide open.... Maybe rushing out of the lair wasn't your best idea, but in your defense, you hadn't expected anyone to care enough to follow you. You didn't even call back, your voice too scratchy to even attempt to do anything of the sort. You closed your eyes, quietly wishing, chanting a silent prayer to yourself that she would go away. You already hated how you looked enough, but with bloody lips, sweat pooling on every inch of skin it could grasp, you were more than ready to hide away forever. Especially if he saw you like this. The sounds of sneakers squeaking on the tiled floor resounded throughout the apartment complex, as April entered the bathroom she gasped, her face laced with shock and worry... Her honey hazelnut eyes followed, widening as they saw your shaking form, petals surrounding the floor and still floating in the sink itself. "Crap, (Y/N/N)..." April trailed off, unsure of how to respond to your situation. You lazily rested your (e/c) gaze on her, body devoid of any energy it could have after your violent fit. You reached out silently grasping her right shoulder blade with one hand the other barely holding the bloody rose.. your fingers coating her jacket in blood, you took a ragged breath for a second as it clicked inside your head that this was it, this was how you'd die.... April stepped back a bit, effectively pulling you off, it's not as if you had a tight grasp on her shoulder, dropping to the floor, your body shaking vehemently as you begin to sob again, April drops beside you and begins to rubb your back. It was silent for a moment as she comforted you, the warmth of her hand relaxing you for a moment. "S-sorry you have to see m-me like this," You apologized as best you could, stuttering on some of your words, you let out a nervous chuckle, letting out a wheeze from the effort afterward. Your chest felt heavy, and the flower growing in your throat tickled every time you tried to simply breathe. April sat up, wearing an unamused expression on her face, her whole face contorting in a I told you so look.... "You know you're an idiot right, thinking that's the problem here," She huffed, flicking your forehead with her middle finger. You pushed her away lightly, in a friendly manner. For the first time in ages you let out a soft smile, feeling like the heavyweight on your chest was lightened at least a tiny bit. Too tired to care your secret had been found out, and to your closest friend none the less you pretended to feign ignorance... "What are you talking about O'Neil, dearest friend of mine....." though you knew you couldn't hide it from her as you let out another cough, coughing out another full rose....you delicately placed your (s/c) hand over your eyes, letting out a huff."I know, it's pitiful huh? Not being loved back," You whispered hoarsely to yourself, dropping your hand from your face to reveal a teary blood-shot eyed being, your lips twiched as you attempted to smile, but failed miserably... April only watched you cry as she carefully; not wanting to criticize your situation said."Hanahaki's gotta be the worst disease out there, huh, a real cruel bitch right?" April asked with a soft smile of her own, grief finding its way to her eyes. Pity, the one thing you truly didn't want, especially with how you were feeling."I guess, I just never expected to fall in love with him," You shrugged, unsure of what to truly do with yourself. All of this was quite overwhelming, being in love, coughing up flowers for the love you had. Life sure had a funny way of telling you your emotions weren't needed. April nudged your arm a little, trying to lighten the mood as much as she could."So, who is it?" She asked, a smile straining at the edges of her lips, unable to truly take over. Boy, would this be embarrassing.