Chapter 16

When I wake up and then check the time a few minutes later, I see that it's almost five in the afternoon and I have successfully missed the rest of my classes. It was worth it though, a good nap cures all. I'm convinced that there is nothing a few hours of glorious sleep can't fix.           

I roll out of bed and head out the door, where I see Mia doing something in the kitchen. I see the sad smile that forms on her face as soon as she notices me.

"Oh good, you're up. Are you feeling better?" Mia asks me.      

"Yup, much better. I think I was just tired, to be honest."      

She gives me a look that tells me she doesn't believe my bullshit. "Do you want to talk about it?"       

I shake my head and she sighs. "Well, Blake was here earlier and he looked like shit." She looks up at me to gauge my reaction before adding, "as he should."    

I don't know how to respond, so I don't.        

"How about we go get sushi? I heard of this really great place that just opened up." She gives me a hopeful smile.          

I do love sushi and I can never say no to food in general. It will also hopefully clear my head. So, I reply with, "absolutely."         

"Great, let me just grab my bag and then we can go. It's relatively close, so we can walk."              

"Sounds good." Some fresh air might actually do me some good.             

She goes to grab her bag and I go to grab mine. I catch a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror and it's not as bad as one would expect after the events of earlier today. My hair looks a little frazzled, but I just comb my fingers through it and decide it's good enough. We are both up and out the door within minutes.      

We chat on the way there while we enjoy our little walk through campus. She tells me how this restaurant opened only a week ago and how many great reviews it has. It's also only about a fifteen minute walk for us, meaning this place will most likely become a staple. She talks adamantly about anything and everything and I'm grateful for it. I'm grateful for the distraction.    

As we walk past the athletic building, the door swings open, revealing a worn down Blake walking out. As soon as his gaze lifts to meet mine, I look away and pick up my pace, forcing Mia to do the same. It's no use though, because in the next instant there's a hand on my shoulder, successfully stopping me in my tracks. I know who it is before I even turn around.            

"Please, Sabrina. Can we please talk?" The desperation in his voice once again triggers a painful reaction in my chest. Nonetheless, I round up all of my remaining will power to stay strong.            

"We already talked. I already said everything I had to say," I reply calmly.    

What happens next is what I least expected. Blake drops down to his knees, arms wrapping around me and his forehead lands against my abdomen. "I'm sorry. Please don't leave. I'm so sorry."           

At this point, we have garnered a crowd and people are watching these theatrics play out right before their very eyes. I want the ground to open up and swallow me whole. I do the only thing I can do and try to get him up off the ground, but he won't budge.