Chapter 18

"That's it. You've been demoted from best friend to just family."     

I raise my eyebrows at Lexi's less than stellar threat. "How is that a demotion?" I question.      

"Because you can't choose family and you'll always be my cousin, but you can choose your friends, especially best friends." She pauses and narrows her eyes at me, pointing an accusatory finger my way. "And you have been a shitty friend, cousin. I can't believe you waited so long to tell me."          

With everything that went down last week, I was a little more than preoccupied and may or may not have forgotten to keep Lexi up to date. For Lexi, not telling her about something the second it happens is equivalent to treason. Which is the reason as to why I have been currently demoted from best friend to just family.      

In her defence, we always turned to each other before anyone else and told each other everything. I guess that's why she's overreacting. Because I gave her stale news as she likes to call it. It's unthinkable that I waited a week before telling her every single detail of what transpired between Blake and me.        

I'm kind of surprised as well, that it took me this long to vent to her. With all of my thoughts going a hundred miles a minute and with Mia being very supportive, I'm ashamed to say, telling Lexi completely slipped my mind. Even though I have gotten really close with Mia in such a short period of time, Lexi will always be my number one. She's been there for me more times than I can count and she really is my best friend. We grew up together and she's more like a sister to me than a cousin. She's the only one who knows about my family situation at home and she's the only person that truly knows me. Therefore, I understand her reaction.        

I sigh. "I know Lex and I'm so sorry. Everything just happened out of the blue and it was a lot to take in, even for me."          

There's a short pause and I look down, picking at my fingernails. Lexi's next words come out in a wobbly whisper, "I can't believe he said that to you."

I look up to see her eyes are glossy and she's chewing on her bottom lip, trying to keep her emotions down. She knows exactly how deep his words cut me, how close to home they hit.

A little too close to home.    

I shrug with a sad smile. "It's fine. It is what it is."

She shakes her head. "It's not fine. He had no right to speak to you that way. No one has the right to speak to you that way." She pauses and takes a deep breath. "There is definitely no excuse for his actions, but from what you have told me I think he's being sincere. I think he regrets what he did and is genuinely trying to make it up to you."               

"What should I do? Should I just forgive and forget then?"      

That's the big question that has been running through my mind rent free since last Thursday when Blake showed up at my dorm. Whenever I think about everything that happened last week and the regret in his eyes, it's hard not to want to forgive and forget. All the stupid little things he did for me, leaves me confused and undecided. I was always so sure I'd never give people second chances when it came to these things but now, I'm not so sure. Maybe some people deserve a second chance? Am I giving them a second chance to hurt me though or to learn from their mistakes? That's what scares me the most. That stupid voice in the back of my head keeps asking me, what if it happens again?