Chapter 25

Finals are around the corner and to say I'm dying is an understatement. So much work is piling up at the same time, it's ridiculous. For someone like me who's not used to putting effort into the academic department, University is killing me. There's just so much more work to do and you can't just coast like in high school. It's quite unsettling.   

The days and weeks morph into one as I basically just study day and night. I've secluded myself so that I don't have any distractions. I refuse to bomb my classes, my ego won't let me. I have never been the type to study non-stop before. In fact, I barely studied because I simply didn't have to. But now my laziness has finally caught up to me.               

Mia's been begging me to leave my room and go do something with her but now is not the time. Blake has also been pretty persistent, but football has also kept him pretty busy, luckily for me.            

Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, as the saying goes, which is why I'm currently on my way to the football house. His incessant nagging has got me to cave and so, we will be studying at his place today. Apparently, his time management skills are lacking and he too needs to study. And I'm supposed to be there for moral support.              

Whatever, it's fine. It doesn't matter to me where I study. It doesn't make a difference whether it's in my room or his, so long as he doesn't pose a threat to my concentration. I am not afraid to get physically violent if the need arrives, and I have made that very clear to him. He assured me he understands the repercussions.     

By the time I actually make it to their house, I'm out of breath and I'm not proud of it. I'm just going to blame it on the heavy ass backpack I carried halfway across campus. Yes, that's the problem. It has absolutely nothing to do with my lack of daily exercise. I swear as soon as I quit gymnastics; I turned into the ultimate couch potato. What's worse is that I don't plan on changing that anytime soon. I've had enough physical activity to last me a lifetime.           

I take a deep, calming breath to settle my heart rate before I enter the football house. I refuse to display my lack of athleticism in-front of a handful of athletes. I don't even bother knocking because I know the door is always open.

Making my way through the house, I don't see anyone, so I go straight to the stairs and towards Blake's room. By the time I reach the second floor—you guessed it—once again I'm out of breath. It's the weight of the backpack, I swear it's not me.

Breathing heavy, I charge straight for Blake's door. I open the door, trying my beast to pretend like I have my breathing under control. In fact, I'm so concentrated on that that I didn't even register the sounds I'm hearing.

The distinct breathy moans have me looking up in horror as I catch the end of Blake's lame attempt at turning off whatever it is that he was watching on his phone.   

"Oh, come on Blake, Seriously? You knew I was coming over!" I exclaim, pretty much scarred for life. 

He rapidly shakes his head. "No! This is not what it looks like, I swear—" he tries to explain but I lift my hand, stopping him.          

"Look Blake, we're close but not that close. This whole situation just crossed the pretty much non-existent line of our friendship." He opens his mouth to say something but I continue before he can, "I'm going to the bathroom across the hall and when I get back here, you better be done with whatever the hell you were doing and ready to study."