As It Was

"What the fuck was that all about?" you demanded to know as you slammed the car door shut.

"Why don't you tell me, hm?" Jungkook replied.

With your eyes fixated on the front, a bitter laugh escaped your lips. "This is ridiculous."

"Yeah, I think your flirting with Pete is pretty ridiculous too."

You whipped your head in Jungkook's direction at the sudden statement. "What?"

"Oh, come on, Y/N. I'm not stupid," he said. "You two made it blatantly obvious you like each other."

"No, you are stupid if you believe that," you argued. "He and I do not like each other. Pete's just a nice guy. He helped me get my mind off of the situation for a little while."

"That wasn't his job though."

"Right," you agreed. "It was yours."

"You know I had business to take care of," he pointed out. "I couldn't sit there and play video games like you guys."

"Business before girlfriend. Got it."

"Am I gonna have to remind you every single fucking day that you're not my girlfriend?" Jungkook spat.

Your lips parted to respond, but without a clue what to say, you closed them again.

Jungkook might as well have stabbed you in the chest, right through the heart; the feeling of hurt and betrayal would've been all the same.

"I know, Kook," you finally said after a few seconds of awkward silence. "I fucking know, okay?!"

At that moment, the dam of tears was threatening to break. Mercifully, though, you managed to patch it up and keep it together. Now, instead of some pathetic sobs, out came the anger.

"I don't need a daily reminder that you and I are complete fucking frauds," you bellowed. "Every waking moment with you, I'm reminded of my situation—of how I'm lying to the people I care most about, and how I'm still helping you get that god-awful bitch Sarang back when you don't even know if you want her anymore. Hell, do you even know what you want at all? Because it doesn't seem like it."

"Well, what do you want, Y/N?" Jungkook snapped. "I'm sick and tired of arguing about the same fucking things over and over again. I don't think we'll ever resolve the problems we have with each other or the problems we're struggling with on our own. So, just tell me what you want, Y/N. The ball is in your court now."

Your tone grew soft with your next words. "I want to go back to how we were before the deal was made. Avoiding each other, not spending time together, making small jibes if we cross paths unintentionally, not bothering with getting to know each other on a deeper level. Things like that." It then became more delicate than a whisper. "Above all, though...I want to pretend you and I never confessed our feelings for one another. This—we—never happened." You couldn't look him in the eyes anymore, hating the way his face contorted in anger and vexation. Or was it devastation? Well, whatever it was, it didn't matter. You couldn't bear to look a second more.

You sat back in your seat, staring out the windshield again. "The deal ends in a month and a half, so let's just get through it and move on with our lives, okay?"

Jungkook's voice came out weak and shaky as he said, "But...but what if that isn't what I want?"

"The ball's in my court now, Jungkook," you restated his words from earlier. "So, please, don't argue with me on this."

You saw him slowly nod out of your peripheral, chewing on his lower lip.

"I'm sorry," he quietly apologized.

You shook your head. "No more apologies either. Let's be done with that too."

Again, he nodded. "Okay."

Another few seconds of that same, awkward, dead silence went by before you couldn't take it anymore and asked him if he would take you home. Jungkook agreed, albeit reluctantly. You could tell he wanted to further discuss the situation, yet he chose not to speak another word about it. At least that was the case for the ride back to your place...

Jungkook put the car in park once you arrived home, turning down the music and hushing the sound of Bloo who had temporarily squashed the uncomfortable presence that lingered in the air. You mumbled a small thank you while reaching for the handle to let yourself out. As soon as the door was swung open, though, Jungkook reached across you and slammed it shut. The shock of his sudden action caused your body to press firmly into the seat.

"I'm sorry," he began, "but I can't let you leave. Not like this, anyway."

"Jungkook—"

"It's 'Kook'," he corrected you. "I hate it when you call me 'Jungkook'. You only call me that when you're pissed off at me."

You sighed.

He was right.

Since Jungkook was the baby of his friend group, you grew up hearing your brother and his friends using nicknames for him. So, you did too. And, since you didn't respect Jungkook because you absolutely despised him, you never bothered with honorifics. Calling Jungkook by his government name was your only way of showing him that he was pushing it (more than usual, that is) and that you were fed up with him.

"Kook," you reiterated, "I don't know how to make this any more clear to you." You then angled your body inward to face him. "We made a deal that I intend to stick to. I will help you get Sarang back for the next month and a half, and after that, we're done, alright? We'll be back to our old selves."

"'Our old selves'," he copied with a dry chuckle. "Enemies, you mean."

You gave a tentative nod. "Yeah...enemies."

Jungkook raked his fingers through his hair before clearing his throat. "Fine, yeah. Whatever you want."

It was evident he was trying to play it cool—trying to pretend it didn't bother him. You could see right through his little façade, though.

"I'm gonna go in and say hi to Yoongi hyung," Jungkook announced.

"Yeah, that's fine," you said, although you wanted nothing more than to be far, far away from him.

"Funny," he sneered. "I don't recall asking for your opinion."

Your eyebrows knitted together, staring at the older man in anger and confusion. "Excuse me?"

"What? I'm doing exactly what you want," Jungkook replied. "I'm acting like my old self."

And with that, Jungkook took his key out of the ignition and began walking towards the front door.

[AN] Thank you all for your patience on this part. I graduate college in April, so this semester has been very hectic!

P.S. The next part is a longer one!