𝟒𝟖 | 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐨𝐳𝐲 𝐓𝐞𝐧𝐭

///

Not long after walking for a good hour or so, we all reach a bridge that connects to the other side to the Kai Empire. Just by looking at the rickety old thing, no one hardly uses it. The wood was deteriorated, and the rope was chaffed. Yun was ahead of us, with Jae-Ha seeming to know the area already.

"Once we cross this bridge and the mountains," Yun touches the tattered rope as dust falls from the spot, that bonded the bridge together. "We'll be in the Empire."

Knotting my eyebrows, I touch the rickety old bridge.

"You sure this is safe?" I question, while glancing down the cavernous valley. "It looks worn down....."

Hak nods, "What she said....."

"I found it while leaping around and checking things out," Jae-Ha informs us. "It seems merchants and traveler probably used this bridge.....back when Kouka's domain extended beyond the mountains.......it likely hasn't been used in a long time, so watch your step."

Just when he said that, Yona almost slips with Hak luckily right behind her. He catches her seeing her cheeks burning, "Losing your footing before we even get onto the bridge?"

She pulls away rather quickly, "I'm fine,"

He stood there completely confused by this, while we all began hopping onto the bridge. Slowly making our way across Yun went ahead, me then Shin-ah, Zeno, Kija, then Jae-Ha then Yona, with Hak. My hands grip the rope, trying to not allow old memories make me fear heights and valleys. The wood creaks beneath our weights, knowing full well the timber was rather old and rotting.

"The boards are rotting," Kija observes, lightly sweating nervously. "They look like they're about to give way."

Jae-Ha turns to him, "Now Yona, Yumi or Yun---"

The sound of the wood breaking soon gives way beneath Kija, seeing his body drop hearing his scream pierce the air like he just saw bugs again. Yet, more frightful. My eyes widen, "Kija!" calling out in alarm, thinking he was a goner. 

"I'd save Yona, Yumi or Yun if they both fell......" he trails off. "....but the rest of you are on your own. I didn't even manage to finish saying it....."

With one swift motion Jae-Ha catches him around the tope half, already annoyed with a fake smile. He grips the rope beside him, with a heavily weight male in his other arm. I could tell poor Kija's heart is racing now, his eyes were bulging out. Jae-Ha hauls the poor dragon up, with a heavy groan finally pulling him to his feet. Kija stood there legs shaking, while staring into the heavens.

"Are you alright, Kija?!" Yona exclaims, concern for her friend.

"I-I'm fine....my whole life flashed before my eyes...." His voice trembles, claw and hand clasped together thanking the heavens. "....It was a unique experience."

"I'm so sad that I only got to see that hilarious moment from behind," Hak comments, provoking the poor white dragon.

"You'd better watch yourself when you cross the bridge, dark dragon!!!" Kija fires back, reacting more dramatically than it has to be.

"How are you doing, up there sis?!" Hak calls.

"I'm alright," trying my best to shake off any fearful thought, while my hands tighten til my knuckles were white.

"Oh that's right, I thought something like this might happen!" Yun spoke up, seeing what he was talking about. "So I brought a long board. I'll pass it forward. Lay it over the broken area."

Yona gasps, "You think of everything!"

Kija groans, "Yun, isn't there any other way there?" he whines, while I felt Shin-ah's body kind of steadying me.