3️⃣

"Ew, Silas? He's the one person between sixteen and twenty-five I wouldn't sleep with."

            She frowned at Everett.

            "Don't look at me like that, Ne. I'd definitely do you. You know if there was no one else around to be with."

            She rolled her eyes at him. "Since when have you gone up to twenty-five? You're too young."

            "A man can dream, dear girl. The real question is, when are you going to give up your v card? If you want, I could do it for you. A girl's first time should be with the best and I am the best. Yeah, I could show you how it's done. Spin your world." His forehead got worried lines as he thought it through. "You'd fall in love with me, and I'm a free bird. But you're already crazy about me, so it won't be that different, so yeah, I could do you."

            "As endearing as that offer is, I'll pass." The water fountain in the hallway was leaking onto the floor, so she raised her dress up to her knees. Smiling at the janitor, Mr. Harvey, she said a quick spell to fix the leak.

            "Then when do you plan on becoming a woman? Getting deflowered? Riding the o train? Getting__."

            "My guess never. I'm going to be an old maid with a grandma who's a cat and leaves for days at a time and my psycho crow who only shows up if something bad is going to happen."

            "I close my eyes and I can literally see that. I'll make time for you in between my many conquests for a smoothie and a catch-up date every Wednesday. Maybe when you're old and I'm worried about you, I'll move in with you too, so you don't get too lonely."

            Nevaeha fisted her hand to keep from giving him a tail. "Gee, thanks."

            "The offer still stands if you change your mind about the night of heaven. I could rock your world, Ne. I want to go on record right now for believing a little EEP could go a long way in helping you unwound and stop worrying so much."

            EEP, Everette's extravagant pleasuring. He's been calling it that ever since he realized he was so good at it. Of course, she only had his word for it, but since he never lacked company, he could be telling the truth.

            When they came to his next class, she paused with him. "Don't talk like that. Not when a certain wolf could go all deranged on you. Promise if he breaks the spell, you'll be more careful. He won't realize you're full of it. In fact, it might be better if you stay away from me altogether once he breaks the spell."

            "See, you worry too much. EEP is a cure all." He winked as he disappeared into the room with the other students.

            He wasn't wrong. It seemed like all she did was worried too much. Who wouldn't in her situation? Her whole life, all she's wanted is to belong to someone and not be alone. Talk about being careful about what you wish for.

            Seeing Cato, she stilled.

            Her spell was working perfectly because all she saw when she looked at him was his beauty. No tattoo.

            Since no other girl stopped to stare at him, Nevaeha knew everyone else still saw what he wanted them to see. Just a regular guy with a bad haircut and a sinister snarl.

            She was prepared for him to walk by her and not recognize her, but when her eyes kept following him down the hallway, she caught him glance back at her with a look of uncertainty.

            That wasn't good.

            Quickly, she turned back around to hurry to her class.

            Could he have felt her eyes on him? Lord, she hoped so. There was no way he could break the spell. That would be all on Vallen, but she could swear that for just a moment Cato had recognized her.

            She couldn't even blame it on a ghost being near her because the only one around had been the one following him.

            From now on, she'd do what she did whenever she came across Vallen's path. Disappear before he could see her.

            Doubts and fears aside, she still wouldn't be ready for the spell to be broken. A witch and a wolf just didn't belong together. Especially when the wolf was in a permanent bad mood.