1_9

When she got home, she put on her headphones and turned up her music loud enough to drown out all of Pike's hateful digs and Silas's unstop chatter.

Beauty was in the eyes of the beholder. That's what her mom always said.

Plus, it was stupid to be worried about how a person looked when the world was falling apart around them.

She took the clothes out of the washing machine and headed outside to hang them up. It was late to be hanging out clothes to dry, but it was better than having to rewash them.

Being outside and busy soothed her. And as wired up as she was, she needed to stay busy. Once that job was done, she started baking pies.

Her head was killing her from having the music up so loud, but anything was better than listening to Pike for one more second.

As soon as the pies were done, she took a night stroll and delivered all of them. Most people were asleep by then, but she popped in and left them sitting on the counters of everyone she knew who wouldn't mind her breaking and entering.

When she came to the field that she laid in with Charlotte and her mother, she would have laid there and wondered about how Carrigan was doing, but she couldn't bear for her stalker to ruin the moment.

Once back home, she cleaned her mess, then made a stronger sleeping potion. Tonight, she was going to sleep no matter what.

She took off her headphones and looked at her unwanted guest.

"You should go, Pike. I know this life was hard on you, but__."

"Don't even bother, witch. You're going to pay for what you did to me. I won't rest until you pay."

"I did nothing to you. If anything, I tried to save you and I'm truly sorry I failed."

"The day I need an ugly witch to save me is the day I should die. Stupid bitch. Stupid ugly bitch. All your kind need to be burned at the stake. My family has been burning your kind for as long as I can remember. I killed my first witch when I was ten. What do you think about that?"

She drank the potion and turned off the light.

If this didn't work, she didn't know how much more she could take.