ThirtyOne

She was more of a night person than a morning person, but she'd swear that this sunrise just might be the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen. The sky was hot pink, orange, and shades of purple ranging from dark to lavender.

            The birds were so impressed that they couldn't stop singing about it.

            His harping came before he appeared. His sour look ruined her morning.

            She sat up and picked up the remains of her breakfast picnic. Today, she was going to ignore him and his cruel words. She refused to even glance his way. Maybe if she could learn to ignore the moody ghost, he'd go away.

            She would not let everything negative that's happen decide who she is.

            It was barely seven in the morning, but all her chores were done, and fresh laundry was already blowing in the breeze. She was proud of herself for finally catching up.

            Today she might even look close to normal. As close to normal as she could look.

            She had on her favorite jeans and a pink t-shirt that said I heart Sundays. And it was actually Sunday.

            It was amazing what a two-day nap will do for a person.

            Silas was still asleep in the chair in her room, his snores filling the whole house. She'd swear he's even chased away the ancestors, and she hadn't seen her grandmother since he's moved in.

            If she was sulking, Nevaeha might not see her for months. Which would usually mean more tv time for her, but Silas hogged the tv as much as her grandmother ever did.

            Once all her mess was tucked away in the picnic basket, she snapped her fingers and appeared in the kitchen. After throwing away her mess, she loaded it down again with another breakfast of boiled eggs, cheeses, fresh baked bread, and Tully's homemade strawberry jam. Tully absolutely made the best strawberry jam.

            That child made the best of everything. Her father said that as soon as she was old enough, she'd have the boys lining up to win her hand.

            Nevaeha supposed that was fine and all, but what she'd love was for Tully to open a restaurant in town. Or a bake shop. Dede wasn't the worst cook, but she wasn't the best either. If it wasn't for her having the only diner in town or the fact that she got a lot of her goods from others in town, she'd been out of business a long time ago.

            Once the basket was full, she grabbed a blanket she'd knitted herself and she snapped her fingers again.

            This time she appeared in the town's small library.

            "Good morning, Ne. I haven't seen you here in a while."

            "Good morning, Eveningale. I forgot you work here on the weekends. I haven't been having much time for reading, but I do try to make it over here after school to hear Mr. Olsen."

            Eveningale smiled. "Me too. He weaves the most beautiful stories. I try to never miss his Thursday morning story. It's about a forbidden love full of secrets."

            "Sounds interesting, but I hate to catch a story that's already started. I'm obsessed with his Monday story."

            Eveningale grinned. "The cupcake maker and the jewel thief. Excellent choice. What can I help you with today?"

            "I could use a few children's books. Nothing too hard. Something with adventure."

            Nevaeha followed the other girl down the line of bookshelves.

            "We just got a brand new one!"

            Eveningale wasn't human, but she had no powers either. Her mom always joked that her six sisters before her used up all the magic. Everyone believed her until ten years ago, when she had another daughter. One who could change the weather with just a raise of an eyebrow.

            Her mother and her younger sister lived outside of town now, but Eveningale said that, unlike most of her sisters, she didn't have any urge to leave town.

            Like Nevaeha, the town suited her.

            They also had other things in common than their love for reading and Mr. Olsen's stories. Eveningale also taught some of the younger children one day a week, and she's never had a boyfriend.

            Eveningale's mom also said all her other daughters got all the looks as well.

            She had dirty blond hair that she kept up in a tight bun. Glasses thicker than even Nevaeha's, and hazel eyes. She had no curves whatsoever and wore nothing but jeans and t-shirts.

            Her cheeks were always red because she was so pale and overheated quickly. And she was even shorter than Nevaeha and that was saying a lot.

            When she stood too close to the other girl, she got a funny feeling in the pit of her stomach. The same feeling that she'd only felt a few other times before now.

            The feeling she got when her wolf was close. Or when Vallen looked at her with his hooded eyes.

            Not as strong, but it was definitely the same feeling. She looked around the library. "Is there anyone else here today?"

            "Just Cash Kay. He usually hides behind the history section when he comes in." Eveningale grabbed another book, then went on to look for another one.

            "Are you sure there's no one else?"

            The other girl was only a year older than her and would graduate this year. "I'm sure. Two customers in one day are really a mad rush for this place. Here you go. Just what you asked for." She handed Nevaeha the books.

            "Do the new shifters ever come in here? The alpha in particular?"

            "No. I've seen them in the school hallway. Scary bunch."

            "Yes."

            "Don't worry about signing for the books. I'll take care of it for you. See you next Sunday, or will you need them for longer?"

            "I'll let you know."

            As soon as she walked out the door, the feeling went away. She turned and stared at the library doors. What could it be now?

            Knowing she had enough to deal with, she snapped her fingers and appeared on Bloodstone land.