3️⃣7️⃣

When her eyes opened a few hours later, Pike was back, and Silas was sitting where Vallen had been sitting.

            He was staring at her like she was a leg of lamb smothered in sauce and he was now a vegetarian. "What are you doing?"

            "The council ordered me to watch you."

            "They mean to and from school. And it's not my fault, so go be angry with someone else."

            "I'm not mad. I don't mind watching you and driving you."

            She frowned. "Since when?"

            "I don't want you to die, Neevy."

            She yawned and threw back the covers. "You're just worried you'll have to move back in with your mom and endure the mayor's visits."

            "Because you're my best friend now. Because you took me in when no one else would." He gave her his sad puppy face. "I don't want you to die, Neevy."

            She narrowed her eyes and waited for him to ruin his sweetness in true Silas form. "But?"

             He looked away. "I've lost enough people."

            Her heart broke. "I know. I'm sorry, Silas."

            "Just don't go and get killed, okay?"

            "I'll try not to. How about I fix you some breakfast?"

            "Scramble eggs smothered in gravy?"

            "Sure. Why are you even here? Shouldn't you already be at work?"

            "They gave me the day off until it's time for my shift to watch the road." He followed her down the stairs. "If you do die, can I have your house?"

            Nevaeha smiled. There's the Silas she knew. "You'd have to ask the house. Biscuits?"

            "I'd rather cornbread. Crisp on the outside. And slice tomatoes."

            "Now that sounds good. Can you go pick a tomato from my garden for me?"

            "I don't think I want slice tomato that much, Neevy."

            "Silas."

            "Fine." He stomped his big feet all the way out the door.

            "Pike, go away. Go haunt Letty until she hears you."

            "I was so disgusted last night I couldn't bear to watch it. I don't know what you've done to him, but it was sickening to see. He was once the bravest of all of us. The strongest and most feared. He's supposed to be what people fear in the dark. He's not supposed to be protecting someone from the dark."

            He did seem upset by all of it. "If it makes you feel better, I think he was here to kill me. Maybe he saw I was having a dreadful day and decided to put it off for another day. Shouldn't you be upset with him? He did kill you and all?"

            "It was a worthy battle. If I had to die, then..." He was gone before he could finish that thought.

            She guessed his death was still a touchy subject.

            "Neevy, since we're both off today, will you play video games with me? I could teach you how."

            That was how Everett found them an hour later.