eLeVeN

Wind gust through the open windows and doors. Curtains bellowed, and candles flickered.

Silas slept on without a care in the world.

A coming storm was a bad omen for tomorrow. She was sure of it, so she went in search of her crow. Not finding it didn't make her feel any better.

When the clock in the hall chimed midnight, she was so fretful that she jumped.

Her skin crawled.

The dead was rising.

Instead of hiding in the house, she went out through the back door and walked until the old oak trees in her yard no longer kept the moon hidden. The moon was dim, just a sliver, but it still reassured her that whatever was coming tomorrow couldn't be too bad.

No matter what, the moon would still be there tomorrow night.

The sky opened and wept cold, harsh tears. The wind catching at her gown and hair.

Instead of retreating, she slowed danced in the rain, humming a song her mother taught her when she was still learning to walk.

"The moon knows my secrets. The moon knows my desires. Only the moon knows my heart."

Her crow gave a shrill cry, circled over her head, and landed on her oak tree. Then he hung upside down.

She couldn't even tell you how bad of an omen it was for him to be out in the dark and in the rain. Tomorrow was going to be a bad day, and that wasn't good, since four of its town citizens wouldn't be within the city limits.

The dead were rising, trouble was brewing, and to make matters worse, evil was afoot.