🏪

She was standing outside a window.

            There were too many trees for her to see the moon, but she knew it was late.

            Inside the room was dark. The entire house was dark.

            It was just a normal house you'd find on any street in America. It had never known evil before, but it was fixing to.

            She was so terrified at what she was about to see that she couldn't stop shaking.

            Sebastian took her hand and Conway step to her side.

            A cute little red bug pulled into the driveway and a young girl got out.

            "I tried to warn her, but she couldn't hear me."

            "It's just a memory of just a dream, Nevaeha Roe."

            "I don't think it was just a dream." She whispered.

            Mr. Churchill looked at Nevaeha, but the rest, like her, watched the young girl try to fit her key into the lock. Laughing, she dropped it and had to bend over to pick it up. Once inside, she went to the room they stood in front of, and the light came on.

            The walls were yellow and the curtains white.

            "We should go." It was a plead. "Soon those walls won't be yellow, they'll be red."

            "What did you do last night, Nevaeha? How did you get that cut on your arm?"

            "I tried to help." She told Conway.

            "Knowing it wouldn't do any good?"

            "Yes."

            "Then you need to do so again. Remember, we are right here."

            The girl inside the house whimpered when the boy who had been hiding in her closet stepped out.

            Nevaeha didn't know if it was the look in his eyes or the knife in his hand that made the girl realized how much trouble she was in.

            His voice was playful. "Don't you want to play?"

            Nevaeha ran for the front door. The girl's screams were horrible, but that didn't stop Nevaeha last night and it didn't stop her this time either.

            Blood was everywhere. The boy, just a normal teenage boy, was holding up his knife so he could lick the blood from it.

            She cried out and covered her mouth. It was too late for the girl. How could he do all this in just a handful of seconds?

            The boy's head jerked up at her sound. Then he grinned. "I knew I could count on you to come play."

            His normal face was gone. His true face was trying to appear but could not. He grinned and came towards her. "Such a sweet young girl. I'm going to enjoy slicing you up."

            There was no question that he was looking at Nevaeha. She back slowly towards the door, then she was jerked through it, and Sebastian and Conway stood in front of her.

            "He went after me. He was able to hurt me."

            Since the men weren't there last night, them standing in front of her didn't do any good. The monster lunged after her.

            "Deep breaths, Nevaeha."

            She nodded and did as she was told. She glanced around to make sure she was back in her own house.

            "What in the hell was that?"

            She'd never heard Sebastian cuss before or saw Mr. Churchill looking so rattled. For once, he seemed at a loss for words.

            "How did he pull her into a dream?" Sebastian asked.

            Conway was studying her. "I don't think he did. I think she did."

            Nevaeha denied it with a shake of her head. "I didn't do anything."

            "That's the only explanation. Whatever that thing is, it's possessing a human. He'd have no power. Somehow, he's able to see more than he should, but there's no way he'd have the power to summons you. No way he'd have the power to reach through a dream world and harm you miles away."

            "What is it?" Mr. Herrmann asked.

            "Could be an evil spirit. Certain demons can possess humans. I'll have to do research. The most important thing is that he has a human host. That means he can be stopped and contained."

            "Nevaeha Roe, is that girl really dead?" By the look on Mr. Churchill's face, she knew that he already knew the answer.

            "Yes. It was real. She was real."

            "Then we need to find out where it happened and what the cops are saying about it. Everyone find out as much as you can, and we'll meet again this evening." With a trembling hand, Mr. Churchill gripped her shoulder, then he left with Mr. Herrmann.

            "I didn't do anything."

            "Maybe, maybe not." Conway sighed. "I'm not going to take any chances. Until we know more, I'm going to put a binding spell on you. We don't want you going anywhere anymore. If it's him, then the spell should stop him, too."

            "The curse doesn't even let me leave town."

            "It's the same as shadowing, except on a subconscious plane. Nevaeha, if somehow you managed to track him and become solid on a subconscious plane, I can't tell you how much power that would take."

            "Could it have something to do with my father being a reaper? Or my grandfather being a demon?"

            "What are you saying?" Conway frowned.

            She shrugged a little. "My mother told me it is the Roe family gift. Being able to marry outside our race and taking on our mates' powers."

            He looked like he'd been struck by lightning, and he noticed Sebastian didn't look the same. "You knew?"

            "It wasn't my secret to tell."

            Conway was back to staring at her. "Do you even know what you just told me? Do you know the possibilities?" He paled some more. "The ramifications? You can't tell anyone until I've had time to give this some thought. Do you understand, Nevaeha? If people knew this, if men knew this, they'd be coming from miles around. There's not one man or boy of magic who wouldn't want to possess you."

            He stood and turned-on Sebastian. "Have you told anyone?"

            "Of course not. I told you it isn't my secret to tell."

            "Nevaeha, have you told anyone else?"'

            "Not really. I've let it slip a few times that my father is a reaper, but no one really caught on to what I was saying."

            "Because it's impossible. You can't tell anyone. Sure, some would come wanting to win your hand, but others won't care about asking for it. Some would just take what they want. Do you understand? This changes everything. We thought that your evil wolf was all we had to worry about and that couldn't be farther from the truth. No one can know. Is there anything else you've kept from me?"

            She winced. "Just the worse part. It's so horrible that I can't even bring myself to think about it."