1siX

She was so tired that she could barely keep her eyes open. She forced them to stay open, anyway. Any time she closed them, that hating asshole was there, ranting and raving about how it was her fault he was dead.

            His rage and hate had followed him into death.

            "I love all of your stories. Thank you for sharing them with me. Next week I think we will__."

            "Nevaeha, I have a new student for you." Mr. Pinkett stuck his head in. "Sorry we caught you at the end of class."

            "It's alright, Mr. Pinkett. We'd love a new student. Right, class?"

            Geraldine's eyes were wide. "We've never ever ever had a new student before."

            Nevaeha smile. "Never ever."

            Her smile softened as Mr. Pinkett ushered in the new child. She was quiet. Timid and looked like she wanted to cry.

            Nevaeha went to her knees in front of her. "I bet I know who you are. Rylee?"

            "She doesn't talk much."

            She got her first look at Vallen's aunt. There was nothing soft about her except for her curves. When she first stepped into the room, she'd done a total sweep of the room looking for dangers.

            "It's so nice to meet you, Rylee. The boys have outnumbered Geraldine and me for so long we'd given up on another girl. Children, introduce yourself and be on your best behavior. We want her to feel welcomed."

            As her students came forward, instantly accepting the new girl, Nevaeha stood and offered her hand to the child's mother. "Ms. Tanner."

            "I've killed people for calling me that. Lucinda is good enough."

            Nevaeha's hand dropped when her welcome was unwanted. "We're happy to have Rylee."

            "I would rather her study with the pack, but she's safer in town. At least these aren't all little human kids. Rylee, find your way home."

            She was a lot like her nephew. Nevaeha turned to the principal in time to catch him eyeing Lucinda's backside clad only in a pair of very short cutoffs.

            He blushed and cleared his throat. "The child hasn't had much school, but she is extremely smart. Technically, she should be in the next class up, but I feel she'll do better with your group. I've talked to her other teachers, and they are going to let me know if she gets too far behind or too far ahead. I explained to the mother that there was only a few moments left of school, but she didn't want to come all this way for nothing."

            "It's fine, Mr. Pinkett. I'll see that the child gets home."

            When the bell rung, he left.

            "Okay, class, I know we're all excited, but class is over. Tomorrow, you'll have plenty of time to become friends. Remember, when I see you next week, we're doing a project." Her hand came to rest on Rylee's shoulder as they watched everyone file out. The child flinched but didn't move away.

            "We really are glad to have you, Rylee, and I promise you're going to fit right in. How about I walk you home since it's your very first day of school? To celebrate, we'll stop for milkshakes."

            The girl remained silent, but she did take Nevaeha's hand when she offered it.