XXXV

When the summons came, she ignored it and rolled over.

The second one was to let her know the banned against her was lifted and she was being summoned as well.

She still thought about ignoring it.

She'd only just began to doze.

The third summons had her grumbling and jumping from her bed. There was no doubt that the whole gathering was for her benefit.

She's missed the last two days of school. Excuse her if sitting in class with a killer yapping in her ear put her in a foul mood. Not to mention that her feelings were still smarting after Mr. Herrmann's dressing down.

If the gathering wasn't about her, then they wouldn't be calling for her. Not with the chance that Vallen would show up.

She snapped her fingers and gave all of them an irritated look. "What happened to me not being allowed to these things?"

"This is what I'm speaking about. We are falling apart. Nevaeha Roe ignores us. Sebastian hasn't come to a meeting in days. The alphas are always late. We need to take control of the situation."

Mr. Churchill asked in an embarrassed voice. "Nevaeha, what are you wearing?"

She gave Mr. Herrmann what she hoped was a snotty look then she glanced down to see what she was wearing.

Blushing, she chewed on her lip. She wasn't wearing much.

"I dress in the dark now. Bathe in the dark too. I might never get another good night's sleep and I'm tired." With a wave of her hand, a robe appeared in her hand. It wasn't as thick as she would have liked, but she was too tired to do more. She slipped her arms in it and belt it. At least it fell well past her knees. Unlike the silk gown she was wearing.

"See? This is what I'm talking about. This council is falling apart."

She sat. "Mr. Churchill, did you say that Sebastian isn't coming to the meetings?"

"We haven't seen him in days. When one of us tries to talk to him, he says he's busy. You are coming unglued."

Conway's calm eyes landed on her, and she had to look away. She wasn't angry with him. Not disappointed, but that didn't mean that she wasn't hurting a little.

It was unfair for her to feel like that. Especially when he wouldn't remember why. He had to do what he had to do to keep from going dark. She hoped in time she'd be able to understand that, because she hated the look of confusion in his eyes right now.

"Nevaeha, it's time for you to do something about your unwelcomed visitor."

"Do you have any better suggestions than dooming him to this life with no chance of a rebirth?"

"It's the only way." Mr. Churchill told her.

"I'm not ready to do that yet." She ran a hand over her tired eyes. "If I could think straight, maybe I could think of something. I'm so tired I might visit Daniel Logan again."

She smiled when six members shouted a no at her. "It was a joke."

Mr. Herrmann grunted. "I still say that Daniel Logan should have consequences for__."

"No." She ordered louder than was called for, so she softened her reply. "No. If someone so much as looks at him wrong, I'll be greatly perturbed."

"Nevaeha Roe, the last time I checked you were still a child, and we are your elders. When did you start giving us orders?"

Her cheeks heated again. "I'm sorry, Mr. Churchill. Mr. Herrmann, I am sorry. I just know he's sick, and it breaks my heart. Please don't think less of him. It was just a minor mistake that we've all learned from. I apologize for disrupting your class like I did, Mr. Herrmann. I'll try to do better."

"See that you do, Nevaeha." His voice was gruff. "We care, Nevaeha. We expect great things from you."

Her eyes filled with tears. "I promise to do better."

"We'll give you a few more days to fix this problem or we'll take care of the situation ourselves."

"Yes, sir."

"And no more skipping school."

"Yes, sir."

She glanced at Conway. "I'm sorry. I'm the last person who should judge someone. Please know that you're very important to me. I hope all the injuries you acquired because of me are healing."

"I'm fine, Nevaeha."

"Nigel, I'm sorry you got caught up in my mess."

"I kind of enjoyed myself."

When Mr. Herrmann gave him a stern look, he chuckled. "Don't worry, Mr. Herrmann. My father let me have it. I have to do all my brother's chores for the next week."

"I'm sorry, Nigel. You shouldn't get in trouble for something that was my fault. I'll talk to him and see if_."

"Don't concern yourself, Nevaeha. I can handle it."

"I'd like to point out that none of it was Nevaeha's fault. She hasn't asked for any of these troubles."

"Thank you, Gloria."

The other woman went back to her knitting.

Mr. Churchill sighed. "Which brings us back to why we are all here. There was another murder."

The door opened, and both alphas entered.

She was too upset to run or hide.

"Sorry we're late. Our alpha leader was holding a phone conference."

"Anything the town should know, Wade?" Mr. Churchill asked.

"He found out about the werewolf finding sanctuary in town. There's going to be some backlash but let us deal with one problem at a time. Tell us about the victim."

Nevaeha dashed away her tears and made sure to keep her eyes off of Vallen.

"A young girl. The youngest yet." Mr. Churchill looked at her. "In Smithville."

"He's closer." She whispered.

"We're going to take measures to make sure that he doesn't get to you. There is always going to be someone watching the road into town. Wade, we are hoping we can count on your people to keep watch on Bloodstone land."

"If a human enters, we'll know it." Wade promised.

"Not necessarily. This human has managed not to leave any DNA at any of the crime scenes. Whatever has taken over his body is strong. Conway, are you any closer to figuring out what we're dealing with?"

"There are a few different demons we could be dealing with. A malevolent spirit is a possibility and without knowing for sure it's going to be near impossible to contain or destroy it. Our best hope is to do a spell that keeps it in the human body it has taken over. Then it will be easier to__."

"We can't do that. The human is as much a victim as the people he's hurt. Someone is missing him, loves him."

Conway shook his head sadly. "We might not have any choice, Nevaeha. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to keep you safe."

She burst into tears.

Mr. Herrmann grunted. "Told you she's coming unglued."