tHirty3

She was getting better at ignoring Pike. She didn't get any sleep last night, but she was getting better at it.

            "What to hear about the passionate night I had with___."

            "Nope."

            "Ne, you're no fun."

            His locker door hit hers when he opened it.

            "I know. Boring old me."

            "I bet you chased dragonflies and read all weekend."

            Nevaeha sighed dreamily. "I wish."

            "Oh God, I forgot Silas is staying with you. Let me guess, you cooked and cleaned for him all weekend?"

            "Nope."

            She stilled, then took a quick step between Everett and his locker.

            He raised an eyebrow, as she tried to control her breathing.

            Vallen and his pack marched into the place like they owned it. Everyone got out of their way, and no one made eye contact with any of them except for Everett, who turned towards them. He was too busy drooling to have any common sense.

            The entire pack stopped and sneered at him while Nevaeha tried to hide behind his back.

            "What are you looking at?"

            Vallen was too close. His voice wrapped around her like a warm hug. Damn it. How nice would it be if he'd ever be the type who would give her a hug? She missed him. She didn't even know why, but she did.

            "A whole lot of yummy. Have you ever been all licked up?"

            She groaned. Her friend, thinking that he was God's gift to every man and woman in this town, was going to get him killed.

            She was prepared to save him, but she just might kill him herself if they got out of this alive.

            Mercy growled low in warning.

            When Nevaeha peaked over Everett's shoulder, Vallen was looking at her.

            She swore her heart stopped beating and found his rhythm before it started beating again.

            His cold golden-brown eyes had warm green specks and the ring around his pupil seem to glow.

            His nose flared the tiniest bit, but no recollection leaped into his eyes. He looked back at Everett. "You better watch yourself, human."

            They let him live and were down the hallway when Everett moaned. "Why when I can watch you?"

            She knew they heard him, but they didn't turn back. Nevaeha slapped him on the back of the head. "Are you out of your mind?"

            "Hell, yeah. With lust for him and his friends. Did you see the way the girl looked at me? I think my charm is working on her. I'll have her before you know it."

            "Everett, she'd kill you."

            "As long as it's during or after, I won't care."

            "She's not going to kill you. I'm going to do it."

            "If you two are finished, my class is waiting for you."

            Mr. Herrmann gave her a look of disappointment, then pointed into his class.

            Great. The council would have a meeting about this. How Nevaeha was drooling over the boy that she wasn't supposed to want. The one she is supposed to stay away from at all costs.

            When she walked past Everett, she hit him in the back of the head again.

            She was better at ignoring Pike, but she wasn't great at it. Not when he was bad-mouthing her friend and besmirching his character.

            She didn't have a temper, but everyone had a breaking point.

            Sadly enough, she reached hers right there in front of Mr. Herrmann and her entire class.

            She's pretty sure she cussed a few times. She's pretty sure that she tried one spell after another trying to shut him up, but none of them last for more than a few moments.

            "You won't learn, will you? You won't listen. Are you so filled with hate that you can't see that you're forcing my hand?"

            "I'm not scared of you, witch. You should be scared of me."

            "You're dead! Your body..." She paled.

            "That's right. No one buried me. No one grieved for me. My body is gone, but I'm not, and I won't rest until you pay for what you did to me."

            "I didn't do this to you. I didn't do anything to you, and you're wrong. He grieved for you."

            Breathing hard, he got in her face. "I will spend eternity learning how to get stronger. Learning how to get the upper hand. I know there's a way and I will find it. And the first person I'm going to take from you is this weak, pathetic, little___."

            Waving her arms, she silenced him and while that held, she tried to think of a spell that would send him away. To the bottom of the sea where his body was would be a good__.

            "That is quite enough, Nevaeha. Leave my classroom at once."

            She looked around the classroom at everyone staring at her. None of them could see any of the things Pike was doing or hear any of the things he was saying. All they heard and saw was her. "He__."

            "I said leave my classroom!"

            Everett made a kissy face at her. "Don't listen to the old sourpuss, Ne. I love it when you defend my honor."

            "Everett, I have a classroom that needs to be mopped until it shines."