🪦twenty3

The council ordered her home. When she got there, Conway, Sebastian, Mr. Churchill, and Mr. Herrmann were waiting for her.

            "This isn't an official meeting, Nevaeha Roe, so we are not required to call on all the members."

            "Our way of trying to get around the new alpha. Nevaeha, what have you gotten yourself into now?" Mr. Herrmann was frowning hard.

            "Let me get Silas's dinner into the icebox. Would any of you care for tea?"

            Mr. Churchill stopped her. "Nevaeha Roe, this is an unofficial meeting, but it's still a meeting. Have a seat."

            She did a spell to send the casserole on its way, then she took a seat in front of two of the four men. Sebastian stood by the window looking out and Conway was trying to touch her family's book, but the book wouldn't allow him to.

            "Gentlemen." Mr. Churchill called to them.

            They joined them.

            "They have filled us in. Conway, give her back her nightmare so we can see what went wrong."

            "Nevaeha, are you prepared for that?"

            "I don't suppose I have much choice."

            "Have you ever been hurt during a nightmare before?" Mr. Herrmann asked.

            "Never. And I've been having some horrible ones here lately."

            "Is your unwanted guest still present?"

            She cut her eyes towards Pike. "Yes, and he's still as annoying as ever. Right now, he's recounting all the ways he knows how to kill me."

            "Let's get started. Conway, how will this proceed?"

            "I took the nightmare away from her. It was like she never had it except for the physical evidence. I'll give it back to her and it will be like she's reliving it again. It will be like we are all experiencing it, except none of us can be hurt because we are just bystanders. I've also taken extra precautions against the wolf being aware of any distress that Nevaeha might feel."

            Mr. Churchill frowned. "Meaning what exactly?"

            "Meaning I put him back under a sleeping spell. Not ideal, but I didn't have a lot of time to get creative. I also suggest we don't dally. He's strong. I think he's more than capable of waking himself if he's worried about his mate."

            Those words gave her pause. Even with her wiped clean from his mind, he'd felt that she was in danger. He'd been worried about her. That had to mean something.

            "Close your eyes, Nevaeha. Count to ten and I want you to take us to the beginning of the dream."

            Her fist clenched. "I may not remember what happened, but a part of me is warning me against what we are about to do."

            Sebastian nodded. "She's right, I feel it too."

            "We have no choice. You won't be alone. Count slowly." Conway ordered.

            "One. Two..."