sixty two

Darth Vader was honestly more frustrated than confused when Obi-Wan disappeared as the old man was about to be struck down. He stomped on the empty cloak to make sure the man was gone as your cry of anguish hit his ears. He had heard a similar cry from you before. More than twenty years ago.

Bending down, Vader picked up the wedding ring that hadn't disappeared with Obi-Wan. It was familiar to him as he had seen Obi-Wan wear it around his neck, with you have a matching one. Turning his head, Vader looked to see you standing in the hangar, staring at him. He could feel the anger inside grow quickly, a darkness around it. It wasn't all that shocking to the Sith when the ring was ripped from his hand and flew into yours, Obi-Wan's saber not far behind. Stormtroopers were scattered around the floor in front of Darth Vader, proving unless against your power. A power the both of you shared.

Darth Vader began heading toward you. Not to harm you, but to collect you. His old Master's death would be your undoing and your fall from the light, he was sure of that. Together, you and him would be unstoppable. Before he could make it very far though, a young man shot the door panel and separated him from you.

~~~

You tore yourself out of Leia's grasp—not caring for a reunion at the moment—before rushing away and finding a small room inside the Falcon to hide in. You ignored Leia's calls for you as the door slid harshly closed. Inside the small room, you broke. Holding Obi-Wan's ring and lightsaber tightly to your chest, you fell on your knees. Sobs wracked your body as ripples of pain radiated out of you and into the Force.

Obi-Wan was gone. Your husband. Your pillar of strength. Your partner. He was gone—one with the Force—and there had been nothing you could do about it.

Ignoring the fight still raging on outside the ship, you wept alone. The Force kept you stable as the ship shook and moved dramatically.

After the Falcon had escaped and Leia and Han had a little tiff, Leia went to go find you. The door easily opened and her heart broke at the sight of you curled in on yourself. She stepped into the room and the door slid closed behind her. The sadness and the heartbreak were palpable in the small enclosed space; so thick in the air that it was almost hard to breathe. Slowly, Leia knelt down beside you.

"I am so sorry about Obi-Wan," Leia said softly as one of her hands found your back.

You looked at her with watery, red eyes. "He's gone," you rasped. "He's gone...like actually gone."

"I know." Leia wrapped her arms around you and pulled you into her. "I know..."

Leia starting crying with you. The two of you clung to each other as you mourned the loss of Obi-Wan and the people of Alderaan together.

~~~

Han and Chewie piloted the Falcon to the planet Yavin, where Leia had said one of the rebel bases was located on a nearby moon. By the time the ship had landed, you had emerged from the room you had hid yourself away in. Obi-Wan's lightsaber was next to yours along your hip while his ring felt like it was burning a hole in your pocket. You followed Leia out of the ship, with Luke, Han, Chewie, and the droids close by.

"You're safe!" A man hurried toward Leia, hugging her. "We had feared the worst." He let her go and stepped back to bow formally. "When we heard about Alderaan, we were afraid that you were lost along with your father."

"We don't have any more time for our sorrows, Commander," Leia responded, duty taking control of her actions. "The battle station has surely tracked us here. It's the only explanation for the ease of our escape. You must use the information in this R2 unit to plan the attack. It is our only hope."