seventy seven

The shrill cry of a baby broke through the tranquility of the night. You moved positions with a small groan, trying to go back to sleep. You were staying with Han and Leia, helping them with Ben. Though you loved them and the child, you were hoping that it was your turn to sleep. With your eyes still shut, you smirked as you heard Han grumbling as he went to get Ben. You drifted off to sleep despite Ben's continued screams. You woke again to a knock on the door and the call of your name.

"Y/N," Han's voice was past exhaustion and you were sure he probably looked in a similar state. The baby cried louder. "Help, please."

You sighed as you heaved yourself up off the bed and headed for the door. As you had thought, Han looked past exhaustion. Ben was thrashing around and screaming in his arms.

"He won't calm," Han told you.

You motioned for him to hand the baby over. "I got it," you said. "Go back to bed."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive. You need the rest." You easily took Ben from Han. "Go to bed."

"Thanks. I don't know what we'd do without you."

You shut the door as Han walked away. Looking down at Ben, you noticed that he was now quiet. You smiled as you shook your head.

"You are a stubborn child, aren't you?" You whispered. "Why can't you just be happy in your mother or father's arms?" He reached up, grasping at you.

You moved a hand so that he could hold one of your fingers. Keeping your eyes on Ben, you moved over to the rocker Han had made for you and placed in your room. You begin humming a tune to try to keep Ben calm.

Though Ben was a good baby, he often cried and had difficulty falling asleep. Leia and Han tried their best as his parents to calm him and it would work sometimes unless Ben could sense you near. To you, it was a clear indicator of Ben's connection with the Force. You knew he was bound to be powerful, everyone with the Skywalker blood was. For a baby, Ben already had a heavy past on his shoulders: both good and bad. You vowed to protect him and guide him through the complications that the family history would bring.

Ben cooed as his eyes fought to stay open. You smiled down at him, watching as sleep began to take over him. He was just a beautiful baby boy with such a bright future ahead of him. You could only hope that you could help him reach the destiny that he was meant for.

~~~

During Ben's first year, Leia was busy trying to learn how to be a mom, helping as a Senator of the New Republic, and working on her Jedi training. You and Luke teamed up to help train Leia. Both of you had different views and different opinions on the important things to training, simply agreeing that it was important that she learned to harness her powers.

Leia was a fast learner. It didn't take her too long to be able to win the occasional duel with Luke or yourself. Her instincts mirrored yours. She could sense things coming and could sense the Force around situations. The Force helped her a lot in the political arena, and kept her calm and collected.

Leia, Luke, and yourself were in the forest, dueling. Leia's bright blue saber clashed against Luke's green one as you ran up from behind with your yellow blade. Both Luke and Leia had blinders over their eyes, focusing on relying on the Force for their next move.

You had felt something weighing on Leia for the last few weeks, but didn't pressure her to tell you. Now, in the midst of the duel, you could feel it had gotten heavier. You weren't going to try to use it to your advantage but, the last time you and Leia had dueled she had won and you wanted to have a little revenge.

Leia and Luke were busy dueling each other, allowing you to get into Leia's Force signature. You gasped at the feelings inside, coming to a stop. Leia quickly disarmed Luke and kicked him to the ground. The two pushed up their blinders and Leia turned to look at you.

"You're going to stop training," you said knowingly.

"I was going to tell you both today," Leia responded. The three of you deactivated your lightsabers.

"Why?" Luke asked, standing up.

"I have sensed Ben's death at the end of my Jedi path. I am not meant to finish it just yet."

"Are you sure?"

"Luke," you called in a reprimanding tone. "You may be a Master but you still have a lot to learn about not questioning others when the Force speaks to them."

"Here," Leia handed her lightsaber over to Luke. "One day my saber will be picked up again, not by me. Someone will finish my journey."

Luke took it, staring at it in his hand while you moved to hug Leia.

"I'm proud of you," you whispered to her.

"Thank you," she responded. "For everything."

"Of course. What is family for?"

~~~

Han and Leia were in the living area, playing with Ben, when you came back from a meditation session. You could hear Han egging on Ben to try and say a form of "Dad". You were smiling as you entered the room.

"Has he said anything yet?" You teased.

"No," Leia giggled. She was sitting on a couch while Han and Ben were on the floor.

Ben's head turned at the sound of your voice. He clapped and laughed at you. "Y/N/N!" He babbled. The three of you froze. He did it again, "Y/N/N!"

"Oh, my," Leia had to put a hand over her mouth to stop the laughter.

"Did he just... No," Han was in unbelief. "I can't." He shook his head.

"Y/N/N!" Ben babbled again.

You smiled with a laugh. "I'm sorry, Han," you told him. "I know how hard you were trying."

"Y/N/N!"

Suddenly, the chain around your neck that held Obi-Wan's wedding ring tore off your neck and flew across to Ben. The three adults in the room were wide-eyed as the necklace fell in front of Ben. This was the first time he had really used the Force, and at such a young age.

"Oh my gosh," you whispered in shock.

Ben was now crying. He obviously was trying to get your attention and was done with you not giving it to him. You went over and knelt down in front of him, picking him up. The crying immediately stopped as he cooed happily against you. Han reached over and picked up the broken chain and ring.

"It's broken," he said.

"I'm so sorry, Y/N," Leia quickly said. "I can get you a new one."

"It's fine," you responded. "As long as the ring is okay, that's all that matters."

"I think I can fix the chain," Han suggested. "Or maybe Chewie can."

"I don't want you to fuss over it."

"Y/N, I know that it's important to you. I will do my best to fix it."

You gave him a thankful smile and nodded before focusing back on the babe in your arms. He was fine, content now that you were closer. If he was barely a year old and was harnessing the Force like this, what would he be like once he was grown?