Chapter 6

*New Appearance*

Catherine explained what happened and how everyone was worried for me. I could tell she was keeping something from me. "Catherine what are you not telling me?" She looked almost scared to say anything. Before she could move two maids came in with buckets to fill the bath. Catherine and one maid helped me up and to the bath and undress while the other ran out and back in with scented oils soaps and towel laying them on a vanity.

Once I was helped into the warm bath the other two maids left, leaving me and Catherine. I went to let my hair down to wash only for Catherine to stop me. I looked at her, she has sad but scared eyes. "I think you should see something first." She walked away and grabbed a mirror walking to me slowly. She kneels by the tub. "Don't scream or panic. You must remember to breath, okay?"

I nodded my head then she gave me the mirror. I slowly looked at and was shocked. "Is this a joke mirror?!" She looked at her,"No my Lady, that is you I promise." She sounded like a animal about to be attacked by a predator, so scared with no hope. What I saw was not my long raven hair, and grey-green eyes, but instead I saw black and white hair and my eyes were green and purple.I looked like a freak.

I no longer looked like me or my people, but a freak

I no longer looked like me or my people, but a freak. I threw the mirror across the room and it shattered. I let out a scream of anger and pain. Catherine jumped at my sudden out burst but not surprised because next thing I know I'm no longer in the tub alone, Catherine jumped in and pulled me to her close. I clung to her screaming and crying I didn't even hear the door open.

I had no idea Sir Jamie was standing there with another guard swords drawn looking for danger, but when he saw Catherine holding me in the tub, he rushed the other guard out. For once in his life Jamie thought he could feel his heart breaking for someone. He didn't know what to do he stood there listening to me calling myself a freak and ugly. He made eye contact with a teary eyed Catherine. She slowly shook her head and he knew what she wanted, he slowly walked out and shut the door.

" Now you listen to me," Catherine started making me look at her."We are gonna finish this bath and get you dressed, because a princess is waiting for a story from her lady." She grabbed a bowl and filled it with water pouring it slowly over my head. She grabbed the soap and softly scrubbed my head. She took her time being gentle like I'm going to break any moment. Once i was completely rinse off and out I noticed Catherine dripping wet.

"Catherine you shouldn't have done that. Your gonna get sick now." And as if someone knew, a maid came in with dry clothes for Catherine with a sad smile. "The princess should be on her way back shortly she has made the cook make so many different things it's quite amusing." She ushered me to the bed. "While miss Catherine changes I'll help you get dressed." Since it was night she helped me into a new gown and made me sit at the vanity.

She started to brush my hair then noticed I wasn't looking in the mirror and stopped. She stared into the mirror waiting for me to look up and when I did I just looked at her not me. "Look at yourself." She said softly. I shook my head. "My Lady I wasn't asking, now look at yourself." She said a little firmer. Catherine was at the door watching and listening she has called a guard to get the queen quickly, she was silently scared for the maid.

The queen and Sir Jamie were there just in time to witness me and the maid having a stare off. "I said no I won't look at that freak in the mirror. That's not me!!!!" The maid did not back down she stood tall grabbed my head and forced me to look into the mirror at myself. The woman I saw was crying and scared. "She is you and she is not a freak." The maid was soft yet firm. This told me she was a mother at some point. "This woman is going to change a lot in this realm. She died saving her family. She has been here only days and has captured the hearts of so many already."

She let go of my head and started to fix my hair while I stared at my new self. "She may not be the old you, but this you is stronger. She is who you need to be in this realm and she will be the inspiration to many young girls. A shield maiden, a mother to those who need one, a sister to others. You will do great things here." As she finished my hair she laid a hand on my shoulder and whispered in my ear so lowly only I could hear. "A viking Queen in a realm that used to be home to dragons." Our eyes met in the mirror she stood straight up and turned to leave.