Chapter Fifty-Two

The Mountain Road

The Mountain Road

Sophie Reese

The snow turned red as it soaked up the demon's blood. I grabbed a fistful of fresh snow and rubbed it across my cheek to remove the gooey green trail of demon slobber. It smelt worse than rotten fish blood peddled for food in the marketplace.

"Is it dead?" Nico asked.

He was still standing on top of the SUV, eyeing up the broken corpse of the demon suspiciously.

I gave the demon a few kicks with the toe of my boot and replied, "I think."

There was a definite lack of confidence in my answer, which made Nico pause for a second.

Eyeing the demon wearily, he rubbed the five o'clock shadow on his jawline and concluded, "We should play it safe and burn the body."

I silently nodded in agreement. Although I couldn't see any signs of life or regeneration, it would not surprise me if this thing suddenly grew another head.

I hunkered down in the snow and picked up the still-warm front legs of the demon. Nico joined me by picking up its back legs, and together we carried the beast to the wreckage of the SUV.

"On three, we will throw it on top of the car," Nico instructed. He counted to three, and we swung the demon on top of the SUV. Metal groaned under the weight of the dead devil.

Nico pulled a gun from his waistband and gently took my arm, guiding me across the snow towards Jacques' body. Then, when we had reached a safe distance, he pulled out the gun and shot several rounds into the engine. Finally, the bullet pierced through the engine on the fifth round, and the wreckage exploded into flames.

"We need to get back to the lodge," Nico said as he grabbed Jacques and pulled him over his shoulder.

"Is Jacques okay?" I asked anxiously.

"He'll have one hell of a headache in the morning, but he's okay. The demon didn't nibble any of his parts," Nico said, giving Jacques' backside a reassuring pat.

We headed back to the road just in time to see a line of black SUVs emerge out of the tunnel. I ran towards them, waving my arms frantically in the air. I must have looked like a mad woman, covered in blood, dribble, soot, and snow. Then, finally, the cars stopped, and half a dozen armed guards came thundering towards us in their heavy combat boots.

Nico dropped Jacques to the ground and began barking orders at his team to 'save the Queen'. The guards surrounded me in a circle and escorted me back to one of the SUVs.

I climbed into the SUV and hesitated when I saw the perfect white leather interior. I couldn't sit on a white seat in these mucky clothes. I'd already destroyed one car tonight and didn't want to ruin another.