Chapter Forty

The Royal Hunting Lodge

Sophie Reese

The air crackled with electricity as Casper's gaze flickered between Sally and Blood. I wasn't sure how much of the conversation he had overheard, but is was clearly furious. His eyes, now black bore into Sally.

"Why didn't you tell us that you were related to Sophie?" he demanded.

"The poor girl has been through enough! I didn't want to overwhelm her," Sally explained unapologetically.

Casper shook his head in disbelief, "You knew she was in danger, yet you decided to withhold vital information regarding her safety from us."

"Like I said, I didn't want to overwhelm Sophie," Sally stated, but this time their was an edge of uncertainty in her voice.

"But you could have at least told ME that she was in danger!"

"I owe you nothing, while you were chained to a prison floor, I was taking care of Sophie! It was me who watched and protected her for all these years before you came along. My loyalty is to her, not to you!" she spat at him.

Silence fell between them and I could see tears of anger burning in Sally's eyes. It shocked me how much she truly hated Casper. Her fists were clenched by her side and I could see Blood placing a restraining hand on her shoulder.

"Sally," Blood breathed, "Relax."

She didn't relax. Her whole body was coiled like a snake ready to strike. She stood in front of Casper with no fear or remorse in her eyes. 

"You don't deserve her," she eventually breathed.

Casper's eyes softened and he replied, "I know."

The tension between them eased as an icy wind blew around us. There was a smell in the air that was coming from between the pines.

I could smell the blood spoiling in the snow and the danger beyond the wall was pushing in, moving silently moving forward, and claiming lives as it went.

It wanted me.

It wanted Mia.

But why?

"Sally?" I called.

Sally's gaze turned towards me and her eyes softened with love and warmth.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" I asked her.

"Back when you were human, I thought the only one way to protect you was to hide you from the past. I wanted you to live a long happy life as a human, not as vampire. I knew the danger you would be in if he," she said giving Casper a glare, "Came looking for you."

"So you're blaming Casper?"

"This is all his fault. If he hadn't turned you into a vampire then you would be safe. No demon would've bothered with a human. Don't you see? Casper took away your single chance at a normal life."