Chapter Thirty-Nine

This week's Dream Cast:

Sophie - Zendaya

Casper - Ansel Elgort

Luc - Ian Somerholder

Mia - Elle Fanning

Nico - Michael Malarkey

Jacques - Alex Petyfer

Christie - Amanda Seyfried

Sally - Phoebe Tonkin

Blood - Armie Hammer

Rayne - Erza Miller

The Royal Hunting Lodge

Sophie Reese

Minutes that felt like hours, passed slowly.

My grandparents had been god-fearing people, who believed the Devil was as real as me and you. My grandmother always had a crucifix hanging over the front door, just in case an evil spirit should try and enter the house. After my mother died, my grandmother collected pictures and sculptures of angels, which she would arrange neatly in front of photos of my mother.

She blamed the Devil for what happened to my mother. The Devil comes to us and leads us astray, she used to say. He would tempt us off our life's true path and take us down another route that would lead to our self-destruction. I never took her seriously. To me was superstitious nonsense... but now I was starting to wonder, had she been right?

I had watched a young woman, Cassie, walk willing to her death and I couldn't understand why. Was the Devil really here, killing women in the forest?

The trees here were different from the rest of the surrounding forest. Here the trees were old and sickly. Their dead branches stuck out like clawed hands, trying to ensnare any who came wandering through the forest.