Chapter Six

Sophie and Sally's Apartment

Sophie Reese

My left ankle hit the tarmac hard. I felt the bone crunch, but I was so high on adrenaline that the pain was barely noticeable.

I pulled myself into a half-standing, half-crouched position and glanced back at my bedroom window.

Casper was leaning out the window, watching me.

"Don't move, darling. I am coming down for you," he called.

I stared up at him in disbelief.

I'd just swan-dived out the window to get away from him. So what made him think I would wait for him to help me.

"Oh no, you can stay up there, Mr Blue-Eyed Crazy stalker," I yelled back.

"Sorry, love, but that's not happening," he replied and started to climb out of the broken window. "My love, would you move aside? I don't want to accidentally land on you."

"Are you crazy?" I cried. "No, wait, don't answer that. You drink blood, so of course, you are crazy!"

"I'm not crazy. Please, come back upstairs, and we can talk about this."

"No way. You and your creepy little bodyguard are not about to make this girl your next victim."

"You have this all wrong. Please, Sophie," he begged.

I ran.

The pain in my ankle slowed me down. I hobbled into a side alley and heard a thud behind me. Casper was on the ground, moving fast.

I had to reach the main street ahead. Then, I could then stop traffic and get help.

Looking over my shoulder, I saw him behind me. His hands were raised in a gesture of peace, and he seemed to be maintaining a respectful distance from me.

"Sophie, please stop. Let's talk about this," he said calmly.

I ignored him and focused on the main street ahead. The noise from the street was deafening. There were cars, buses and the sound of people walking and talking. But I could hear other sounds like cell phones in bags vibrating, keys clinking, fingers clicking, people's lips smacking, breathing, hearts beating, and blood rushing.

My mouth started to burn.

"Sophie, you need to stop. You're getting too close to the road," Casper called to me.

I heard his words, but they didn't quite reach me. I was too busy listening to the hundreds of beating hearts ahead of me.

My canines ached. The pain reminded me of my wisdom teeth coming through - that slight dull pain that made me want to chew on something.