Chapter Thirty

The Royal Hunting Lodge

Sophie Reese

The first time I'd ever felt truly powerful, was when I threw Casper into a wall. Before that, in my human life, I had been nobody. I was a small town girl, just trying to do good in my small corner of the world. I didn't have any great expectation for my life, other than running my grandparents community centre. Casper changed all that when he came into my life, set up camp and refused to leave. He was so gentle and kind, yet secretive and supportive of Nico's and Luc's terrible plans. I thought he was a liar, a criminal, a mafia boss... I never imagined he was a King. I was staring at him, utterly speechless. My head was exploding with a million thoughts and questions. I wanted to say so much, but at the moment, all I could manage was a muted, "What?"

He repeated it for me again.

"I am King."

My Casper; my sweet gentle blue-eyed fairytale prince was a king? Although, right now, there wasn't much gentle about him. His soft blue eyes had turned a shade of neon blue. I suspected it had something to do with the electricity that crackled around him, enveloping him in a menacing aura.

I took a wary step back and replied, "How?"

"My brother, Louis, was a King. He died without issue and the crown past to me."

"So you are a King."

"Yes, and you will obey me, Sophie."

"What if I don't want to obey you? What if I refuse?"

"I will force your obedience if necessary. I don't want to, Sophie, but I will do it to protect you."

The conviction and power in his voice scared me. I had been so confident earlier, but now I felt helpless. Sally's words echoed through my head, 'he'll trap you like a bird in a gilded cage'. My hands started to shake and I felt physically sick. This wasn't love, this was a nightmare.

"Rayne," I said, looking past Casper to the demon stood by the fireplace, "I want you to take me away. I can't stay here anymore."

Casper closed the distance between us, grabbing my arm and growled, "You are not going anywhere."

"Let go of me," I whispered.

His fingers tightened around my wrist like a steel band, threatening to snap my arm like a twig.

"I will not lose you again, Sophie. I will do anything to keep you with me. I willing to risk everything to keep you safe, even if it means losing your love and respect."

"You're insane, just like your brother!"

"You make me insane, little girl."

"Don't patronise me, I'm a Queen."

"You are my Queen, Sophie. You were born for me and I will never let you go."

"I'm never going to be your Queen."