Chapter Thirty-One

The Royal Hunting Lodge

Sophie Reese

I left the hall and found Rayne waiting outside with Christie. They both looked at me expectantly as I approached them. I could see the worry was etched across Christie's face. I imagined, that Rudolph was weighing heavily on her mind. I reached out and took her hand.

"I spoke with Casper and he said that he will think about releasing you from your engagement to Rudolph," I said.

"He's going to think about it..." she repeated unable to hide the disappointment in her voice.

"Hey, at least it's not an outright 'no'," I replied, trying to sound upbeat.

She forced a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. "I'm sorry, Sophie. I am truly grateful to you. Thank you for speaking up for me when no one else would."

Her hand dropped away from mine and she took a step back, her eyes cast downwards in defeat. I could tell she had already given hope. I opened my mouth to say something, but Rayne interjected.

"So, what was the outcome of your discussion?"

"I have agreed to marry him. The wedding will take place tomorrow, right after Sally's marriage to Blood."

"That's delightful news, although you don't seem to be particularly happy."

"How can I be happy? Christie and Sally are having to forfeit their own happiness so we can be married!"

"Well, this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but you and Casper are going to be the next great leaders of the vampire race... Whereas Christie and Sally, unfortunately, are nobodies," Rayne paused and turned to Christie, "No offence."

Christie reluctantly nodded her head in agreement, "He's right. I hate Rudolph, but I would never go against the will of my King. Should the King ask me to marry his cousin, then I will marry his cousin... even if it kills me inside."

"No, you can't," I protested.

"Sometimes we have to forego our own desires so that a greater purpose can be achieved. It sounds odd, but I think I could marry Rudolph, knowing that it would help make you Queen. My life wouldn't feel such a waste if it helps you."

I stared at her, unable to comprehend why she would be willing to give up her freedom and happiness to help me, a stranger.

"Christie, I would never ask you to do that for me," I replied.

"I know you wouldn't, but it is my gift to give to you, should Casper decide that I need to marry Rudolph," she paused and lifted her chin, then with a genuine smile continued, "But you never know, it might not come to that. The King might yet take pity on a poor wretch like me."