Chapter Thirty-Five

The Royal Hunting Lodge

Sophie Reese

After my mom died, I went through a weird process of trying to figure out what I could have done to save her. The guilt of her death clung to me because deep down, I blamed myself for not being one who had saved her.

It took me a long time to reconcile myself with the simple truth that bad things happen to good people, and there is nothing that anyone can of about it.

Sitting in the SUV, staring out the window, I thought about Rudolph. I imagined him back at the main house, congratulating himself on ruining my wedding and reputation.

The thought of it made me fizz with anger. I wasn't a violent person, but the more I pictured Rudolph's gloating face in my mind, the more I wanted to jump out the SUV and hunt Rudolph down.

I closed my eyes and leaned my head back. I imagined grabbing him by his stupid velvet jacket and slamming my fist through his chest. I imagined reaching inside him and wrapping my fingers around his heart and squeezing it until it exploded.

"Sophie?"

Casper called my name from the driver's seat and I opened my eyes. The darkness inside me lifted when I saw his gentle blue eyes staring at me through the rear view mirror. His eyebrows drew together in concern and he said, "Your fangs, they're out."

I pressed my tongue against the back of my teeth and felt the sharp elongated point. Embarrassed, I reached up and covered my mouth with my hand.

"Are you hungry?" Casper asked.

I shook my head and replied, "No, I'm fine."

Casper continued to study me through the mirror. He could sense something was wrong.

"Do you want to talk?" He pushed.

"I'm okay - I don't feel like talking right now," I replied lightly.

I did my best to not sound mad or angry. I didn't want Casper to think that I was upset with him. None of this was his fault... but right now, I was caught up in a hurricane of feeling and Casper was kind of an unwelcome spectator. I wanted to be alone with my thoughts.

"Sophie," he reached out again, "What happened back there, it wasn't about you. Rudolph made those accusations to hurt me. He knows you're my weak spot."

"Sure, I understand," I smiled weakly.

I was forcing myself to behave graciously. I didn't want to expose Casper to the anger burning deep down inside me. I didn't want him to find out about the violent thoughts that were swirling about inside of me.

"Sophie, you've barely spoken since I started driving. I expected anger, tears, and yelling ... anything, but this silence," he said.

"I guess, I don't know how to feel, right now," I said.