Chapter Twenty-Nine

The Royal Hunting Lodge

Sophie Reese

Conversations were had and barbed words were exchanged between Nico and Rayne. I listened passively to them, not fully comprehending their meaning as my mind was still focused on the moment I sank my fist into the Wendigo's chest and ripped out its heart. I could still feel its cold wet heart beating in my palm. I shut my eyes and tried to drive out the thought. I didn't understand any of this. I felt like I was drowning in a black sea supernaturalness. Vampire, demons and now vampire queens. None of this really made any sense.

I shook my head and lifted my gaze to Christie. She was still cowering next to Rudolph as he gripped her arm in an unforgiving manner. She had a look in her eye, the same look that I had seen in the eyes of beaten women who used to attend group therapy sessions at the community centre, a look of worthlessness and self-loathing. I couldn't bear it. Christie had proven herself to be a true friend tonight, she had gone with me into the forest and had been willing to risk her life to fight the wendigo with me.

I turned to Rayne, abruptly interrupting his argument with Nico, and asked, "Do other vampires have to listen to me if I'm a queen?"

"In time they will recognise your authority, but right now, you are still a fledgeling. Your power has not matured, which is why your consort should be protecting you instead of this buffoon," Rayne said, hurling another insult at Nico.

I ignored his insult and gestured towards Christie. "That girl, she helped me tonight. I want to help her in return, but I cannot do that without your assistance."

"Are these fools not listening to you? Is that why they are threatening you with silver?"

I nodded in reply.

Rayne shook his head, despairingly. "I have a good mind to take you away from this place and raise you myself...but as things stand, I must leave you here, in the care of these lesser creatures."

The derision in his voice cut through the small gathering of proud vampires. Clearly, Rayne's presence was a painful reminder that they were not the biggest shark in the sea.

Rayne dragged his fingers through his smooth silver hair and let out a long sigh.

"I don't normally meddle in vampire affairs, but I suppose a friend of yours, is a friend of mine," he said, lifting his hand and snapping his fingers.

Christie dissolved into thin air and reappeared next to me a second later.

Rudolph, too frightened to protest out loud, glared at Christie - a hard black stare that made Christie grab my arm.

"I think he's mad," she whispered in my ear.

"He can stay mad for all I care... but I swear, if he touches you again, I'll tear out his heart," I replied loudly.