Chapter 1

"Hey! Look! Another spoiled brat who bought his rank!"

"Yeah, I can't believe that we have to work our ass off to get a miserable promotion while those annoying rich kids get everything they want without efforts, it is ridiculous!"

"Have you heard the rumors about this one? It looks like he's a fag!"

"Stop..."

"Yeah, I guess that he will have some fun in the barracks with the younger recruits"

"Let him try, I will beat him up so bad that I will turn him normal again!"

"Please... stop..."

"Nah, I bet that he's a masochist and he may ask for more!"

He tried to ignore them, to fight back, to beg them to stop but nothing, no matter what he did, those voices never stopped echoing in his mind even after the years of training were over and he got the high rank he wanted.

It was never enough, whatever Venice did there was always someone ready to say that he got to that point only thanks to his parents. Usually those remarks were joined by comments regarding his family too and it was usually the most painful part for him.

There was nothing he could do, his nights were filled with nightmares that weren't going to let him sleep peacefully. He shifted uncomfortably under the blankets, only to wake up panting in terror and realize that it was just a dream and that it wasn't going to happen anymore.

"Stop!" he shouted as he woke up again. He looked around and realized that it was nothing else than his usual nightmare. The room was lit by the same bluish light of the night, he switched on the lamp on his night table and drank some water.

It was a special morning though, it was the day that most of the young men of Thailand feared the most, some of them were going to get drafted, some of them could go back to their families and spend another year of peace.

Payu and most of the other officials remained in the garrison and proceeded to work like it was a normal day. Some officers and doctors on the other hand left the building complex and went to visit the new guys who were coming for the lottery.

An old man with a white lab coat stood up, he looked at the list with his thick glasses and then turned to the crowd of guys in front of him, he looked at Rain and called him. The young architect walked to him, he took off his shirt and the doctor started his quick visit.

"Put your shirt back on" the doctor said. While Rain was doing as he was told to, he saw the old man writing something down on a document with a photo of him on it.

"Go to that officer over there and pick a card from the box."

"A... Are you sure that I..."

"You're perfectly healthy, I'm sorry but I can't do anything else. Come on. Next!" the doctor shouted as he looked at Sky.

Rain accepted his fate and walked to the officer holding a large box, he quickly sank his hand into the mass of cards and picked one. He could pray as much as he wanted but he got the red card, it only meant one thing: mandatory enlistment.

The officer patted his shoulder and told him to go back to sit where he was at the beginning. Rain followed his friend with his eyes, the doctor said that he was fit for the enlistment too and so he had to choose a card. Another red card.

Rain sighed in relief, he knew that it was a little selfish, but he was happy that at least he didn't have to face such a crucial moment in his life without his friend.

A few hours later they were on a bus that was going to get them to the nearest garrison. Rain was too nervous, he didn't know what to do, he didn't know what could happen to him in a place so different than school or home. He turned to Sky and shook his shoulder but...

"What do you want... I'm sleeping"

"You replied so you aren't sleeping"

"Oh come on..."

"Aren't you nervous? What will they ask us to do?"

"Rain, calm down, it isn't like you can change anything now so just rest a little bit and you'll see that it will be over before we even notice it" Sky replied and went back to sleep so Rain could just nod and let him rest.

"Hey, Payu..." Pai started.

"The new recruits will arrive soon so you should get used to calling me Lieutenant... I don't want a crowd of annoying boys calling me like I'm an old friend from school..." Payu responded without raising his eyes from the documents in front of him.

"Alright... Lieutenant Venice Payu Theerapanyakul, may I have the honor to address you?" Pai said with a jokingly tone. Payu sighed but he decided to keep up the act and replied:

"What may I do my honorable friend, Lieutenant Prapai Theerapanyakul?"

"The bus with the recruits has just arrived, I just got a text from the captain" Pai responded.

Venice sighed and nodded, he stood up and took his jacket, then he walked to the courtyard to make the first speech. He didn't say anything at first, he just looked at those faces, wondering what was going on inside those poor minds and hoping that they didn't had to go through what he had to.

"Gentlemen, I'm lieutenant Theerapanyakul, your head drill instructor, you just had the honor of serving in the army of his royal majesty the king of Thailand for two years. You will start with a day off, you can walk around the garrison and get familiar with the buildings and amenities. Your training will start tomorrow at 6 am. Our offices are in that wing right there if you need help. You're free to go" Payu said.

"So, it's true. That is one of the heir of the Theerapanyakul family, they are rich as fuck... I bet that he used his money to get his position" one of the guys whispered to his friend.

"Payu?" Pai whispered as he realized that his cousin heard the two of them talking, Payu responded:

"Let's go... this humid air is making me feel sick"