Chapter 13

It was time for dinner. Payu really wasn't in the mood for a large meal, but he didn't want to disappoint his father, nor he wanted to show that there was something wrong, so he tried to eat with them as long as he could.

"Venice, I've talked with the officers of the camp a few days ago and they told me that you will soon receive a promotion, why didn't you tell us sooner?" Pete asked, trying to make his son talk a little bit, considering that he was strangely silent lately.

"Oh, yeah... I forgot to tell you that, sorry dad..." Payu responded, while instinctively moving the spoon inside the bowl in front of him. Vegas looked at his son for a second, then he gave a rapid look at his husband, communicating just with a movement of their eyes.

"It's alright, just remember to tell us the day of the ceremony, we don't want to miss such an important moment" Vegas added.

"Don't worry, uncle Vegas, if Venice forgets it, I will make sure to call you and inform you. My dear cousin is so busy lately that it is normal to forget such little details" Pai intervened, then he patted Payu's thigh from below the table, as a way of telling him that he was going to help him whenever he needed.

"I see, well, just try to rest a little bit. I know that life in the army isn't supposed to be like living in a resort, but that doesn't mean that you have to push yourself too much. You know that the only thing we care about is your happiness, Payu..." Pete said.

Payu looked up immediately, his plan didn't work at all. He was perfectly aware of the fact that whenever his parents called him by that nickname, it meant that they understood something was wrong. It was a part of their family secret language.

"Dad... pa..." Venice started. Everyone at the table turned to him, waiting for him to finally expose the problem. Venice gulped and cleared his throat, he tried harder and harder but the words just didn't get past his throat.

Suddenly, Pai's phone started ringing. Payu turned to him, wondering what was going on. Pai picked up the call and talked with the other person in front of everyone. He just said "yes" and "no problem" or "of course sir" a few times before hanging up the call. Then he turned to the other people at the table and said:

"I'm so sorry, however the captain just called me and told me that we have to go back to the camp tomorrow in the morning instead of the day after tomorrow. I really couldn't do anything to impede it, sorry uncles"

"No problem, nong, it's alright. We are already happy that it was possible to share a meal with you." Pete said smiling. He didn't have to add another single word to make Vegas understand how sad he was at that moment. He knew that his son was an adult now but every day away from him was difficult for him.