Chapter 7

After an hour or so, Rain eventually found the courage to confront the lieutenant. He walked down the large courtyard of the camp, unaware of Payu, who was secretly watching him from the window, waiting for him to arrive and finally talk to him. Rain walked up the stairs and took a deep breath before knocking on the door of the official's office. Payu responded with a very resolute voice, Rain gulped, fearing to get punished like other recruits, then he opened the door and entered.

"Sit down, Rain, there is something I have to tell you" Payu said as he turned from the window. Rain was surprised to see him like this. He almost looked like a different person, tall and lean in his perfect uniform, intimidating and solemn. Rain nodded and sat down on the left chair in front of the large wooden desk.

"Rain, I'll be frank with you: I'm genuinely concerned by your performance during today's training session. To be honest I barely understand how you passed the medical visit considering how inadequate you are for physical efforts." Payu started.

Rain looked down, he pushed his shoulders to the front, appearing even smaller than how he really was. He whispered something like: "Don't insult me like this...". Payu was surprised to hear the boy implore him like that, he sighed and sat down on the chair next to Rain's one.

"Rain, I'm not insulting you. I'm concerned. You lack the skills and preparation to face such an harsh training. It is our duty as instructors to distinguish between the recruits who are suitable for active service and those who are not. That's why I've already informed the captain of your new occupation in the camp." Payu replied with a softer tone.

"Wh... what does it mean, sir?"

"It means that you won't have to do what you can't. You'll sleep in the dormitory with the other recruits and eat with them, however you will spend the rest of the time with me, usually helping me with documents and messages. You can't even imagine the amount of paperwork behind a camp like this one. Is everything clear?"

Rain took a deep breath again, he glared at the lieutenant and stood up fiercely with his chin up, also because Payu was taller than him so he actually had to do so unless he wanted to talk to the lieutenant's neck.

"I am flattered by your offer but I have to reject it. I will train just like the others, I don't see why I shouldn't do so. I won't get any stronger if I hide in an office, sir" Rain said.

"You're aware that there will be an exam at the end of the week to see if there is a little hint of progress, right?" Payu added.

"Y... yes, sir"

"And you want to try it anyway"

"Yes sir"

"Alright, I admire your courage, Rain. I'll let you try, however, if you won't pass the exam you will quit the training and work as my assistant full time. I have nothing else to say to you, you may leave now"

"So, this is what you told him?" Prapai asked as Payu told him how the whole meeting with Rain ended up.

"Exactly" Payu responded.

"Wow... anyway, you know you can't let him do the exam right? He'll probably die before completing half of it" Prapai said.

"Don't be ridiculous, it is obvious that I won't let him participate. I've thought this through, I will let him thing that he can do the exam, however on that day I will invent something to stop him before competing with the others" Payu replied.

"Oh, I see... you really care about that poor boy, don't you? What's the matter, do you have a crush on him or what?" his cousin asked laughing so hard that he was about to fall off the chair.

"Don't you try talking to me like that, do you really believe that I don't know about you and that friend of his?" Payu asked smirking and pointing his finger against Pai.

"I really don't know what you're talking about."

"So you don't know about the precious, adorable friend of Rain? You don't like him even a little bit?" Payu continued.

"As I said, I don't know what you're talking about, they are all the same to me. I'm just taking care of the recruits" Pai said and looked away.

"Alright, I guess that I won't be your best man at your marriage with him" Payu said.

"You can't be, gay marriage isn't legal yet"

"So you like him!"

"That's not what I meant! What's wrong with you today? You know what? Good bye... I'll avoid you until the lunch with our family" Pai said as he left and shut the door.