Chapter Three: Alone

I hear the ticking of the clock

I'm lying here the room's pitch dark

I wonder where you are tonight

No answer on the telephone

And the night goes by so very slow

Oh I hope that it won't end though

Alone

The only sound in the quiet darkness of the room was the ticking of the clock. Probationary NCIS Agent Ziva David lay sprawled on the couch, her hands resting behind her head.

Where is he? She cried silently as her thoughts drifted to Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo, her partner. Feeling restless, she heaved herself to her feet and pulled out her cell phone, speed-dialing a familiar number. Ziva paced anxiously as the phone rang. At last, it went straight to voice-mail. The Israeli-American groaned in despair and snapped the phone shut. With nothing else to do, she flopped back down on the couch, staring at the ceiling.

Minutes trickled by so slowly, it felt as if she was lying there for days. Ziva hoped the long night wouldn't end with her all alone.

Till now I always got by on my own

I never really cared until I met you

And now it chills me to the bone

How do I get you alone

Ziva smiled slightly as she pictured Tony with her. Until she had met him, she had taken care of herself, never really cared about anyone. As soon as she met Agent DiNozzo, however, all that flew out the window. Now all she had to do was figure out how to get him alone . . .

You don't know how long I have wanted

to touch your lips and hold you tight, oh

You don't know how long I have waited

and I was going to tell you tonight

But the secret is still my own and my love for you is still unknown

Alone

A tremor raced through her as she remembered their time undercover four years ago: his lips on hers, the feel of his hands caressing her skin . . . Tony had no idea how long she had wanted him or waited for him.

The door to her apartment opened, and Tony poked his head in.

"You wanted to see me?" he asked.

"Yes, come in." Only later would she remember that she hadn't received an answer from his cell.

He did, shutting the door behind him. Ziva's body thrummed with awareness and her need for him as he stepped closer to her. His scent, his nearness, was doing something to Ziva's insides. Tell him, a little voice in her head demanded.

Okay, she replied silently.

"Tony," Ziva murmured, "there's something I have to tell you."

"What?"

Just as Ziva was about to answer, Tony's cell rang. The senior field agent checked the caller I.D., mouthed, "Gibbs" and answered, "DiNozzo."

"Tony, get Ziva. We've got a dead marine inRockCreekPark," Gibbs barked over the phone.

"Uh, Boss, she's right—" DiNozzo started to say but stopped. He snapped the phone shut. "He hung up."

"I know. I overheard everything," Ziva reminded him, biting back a groan of frustration. She reached for her gun, badge, and coat and started for her car.

As soon as they were out of her apartment, Tony asked, "What was it you wanted to tell me?"

"Nothing," Ziva lied, picking up the pace.

Till now I always got by on my own

I never really cared until I met you

And now it chills me to the bone

How do I get you alone

Alone, alone