Chapter Fourteen: If Looks Could Kill

Caught you in the act—can't put up with that

Messing where you shouldn't be

I wanna hear you say you're sorry

Cause nobody takes advantage of me

Jeanne glanced at Tony's picture in her hand and angrily crumpled it up into a ball. Leaning back in a chair near her computer in her bedroom, she aimed at a nearby trash can and let fly. Score! Nothing but can.

How dare he do that to me! she thought furiously. First he admitted that his real name wasn't Tony DiNardo; it was Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo, and that he'd been romantically involved with her due to orders from his boss. Second, she found out that he'd been spending most of his time when he wasn't with her with another woman!

You're missing the mark—shooting in the dark

I'm pulling the wool from my eyes

Baby, don't push me further

It's gonna hurt you if it happens twice

"He never should have cheated on me," she growled. "If this happens again, someone's going to get hurt—and it won't be me."

Her mind made up, she leaped out of the chair and headed out the bedroom door to her car outside the apartment. She knew where he liked to hang out: a local bar. He'd taken her there a few times before. Don't push me any further, Tony.

If looks could kill

You'd be lying on the floor

You'd be begging me please please

Baby don't hurt me no more

If looks could kill

You'd be reeling from the pain

And you'd never lie again

If looks could kill

When she walked inside, she saw him with her (Ziva, but Jeanne doesn't know that) and a bunch of his friends: a Goth girl, a middle-aged guy with light-brown hair who looked vaguely familiar, a silver-haired older agent, and an Englishman with glasses who looked to be in his early sixties (aka the team). The look she gave Tony was so hateful she was surprised he couldn't feel it. A satisfied yet evil smile came over her face as she pictured him down on the floor, begging for her not to murder him and leave no forensic evidence (oh, wait, would that be Abby or Ziva?).

You're living on the edge—hanging by a thread

I'm watching every move you make

You don't want to see my anger

So don't you make another mistake

She watched Tony and the beautiful olive-skinned brunette he was with carefully as she sat down at a table near the NCIS team. From where she was seated, she could hear snippets of their conversation. The Israeli was laughing at some joke Tony was telling, then her eyes widened as she saw the daughter of the French arms dealer "The Frog" scrutinizing them. DiNozzo, noticing her eyes dilate, turned slightly and from what Jeanne could tell, caught side of her.

Before she could change her mind, Jeanne rose and stalked over to them.

"Tony," she hissed, "you do not want to see me angry. Don't screw this up."

Before Tony could reply, his date's fudge-colored eyes went almost black and she lunged at Jeanne.

Startled, she took a step back just as Tony's arms went around the Israeli's frame, blocking her attack. "Take it easy, Ziva," he murmured in her ear.

"Tony, can't I kill her just a little bit?" Ziva asked hopefully.

"No, Agent David, you can't," the silver-haired man—their boss, Jeanne assumed—ordered. He fixed Tony with an icy glare.

"Hey, come on, Gibbs. It's not my fault Ziva went all ninja-Mossad-assassin on Jeanne, here!"

There was a satisfying smack as Gibbs' hand connected with the back of Tony's head.

Love is on the line—I ain't about to be kind

That's a promise and a threat

If I was you I'd really cool it

Or risk a night you'll never forget

Smirking, Jeanne turned on her heel and walked away, motioning with a finger for Tony to follow her. She heard him sigh, but he reluctantly rose and followed her to a dark corner near the restrooms. Wheeling around to face him, she warned, "Tony, there's no more Ms. Nice Doctor here."

At his amused look of disbelief, she added, "Love is on the line—I'm not about to be kind. That's a promise and a threat. You'd better cool it."

"Or what?"

"Risk a night you'll never forget."

If looks could kill

You'd be lying on the floor

You'd be begging me please please

Darlin' don't hurt me no more

If looks could kill

You'd be reeling from the pain

And you'd never lie again

If looks could kill

The highly satisfying image of him reeling from pain due to her killer stare flashed into her mind again. From the flare of alarm in Tony's emerald eyes, she knew he guessed what he was thinking. She didn't care.

I was a fool to believe in you

A sucker for every line

I'm a little less blind

Than I was before

I can see right through your design

Jeanne's next words caught him by surprise: "I was a fool to believe in you, Tony. Right now, though, I can see right through you."

"Let's hope not," he joked.

If looks could kill

You'd be lying on the floor

You'd be begging me please please

Baby don't hurt me no more

If looks could kill

You'd be reeling from the pain

And you'd never lie again

If looks could kill

You'd be lying on the floor

You'd be begging me please please

Baby don't hurt me no more

If looks could kill

You'd be reeling from the pain

And you'd never lie again

If looks could kill

If looks could kill

He turned to go back to Ziva, but Jeanne put a vice-like hand on his arm. Relishing the confusion and fear in his eyes, she warned, "If looks could kill. . . ."