Chapter Twenty-Six: Easy Target

Everytime I hear your voice on the phone

Evertime you leave me so long alone

Everytime I think that my heart's gonna break

You knock at my door, you're back on the make

NCIS Director Jenny Sheppard hung up the phone from where she'd just finished talking with Leroy Jethro Gibbs. He'd left her so long alone and she thought her heart was going to break. The redhead jumped as the silence was broken by a rapping at the door. Sighing, she went to answer it.

There stood her ex-lover, Gibbs himself. Oh, goodie, she thought sarcastically, he's back on the make.

If your hands were tied

If your eyes were closed

Anyway you dish it out baby

I just couldn't say no

"Hey, Jen," he said lightly.

"What do you want, Jethro?" she replied frostily.

He shifted his weight on the doorstep. "Well, you inviting me out of the rain might help."

"It's not raining."

As if to contradict her, it started raining at that moment. Gibbs gave her a small smile, knowing what she was going to do the instant before she did it. Opening the door, she allowed him inside.

"Well, what do you want?" Jenny repeated.

His ice-blue eyes met her own. "Would you want to just, I don't know, give me another chance?"

Her heart leapt. She couldn't say no, anyway he tried to dish it out.

"Yes."

Easy target

Open season and you are the reason

Easy target

I got caught you are such a good shot now

Easy target

Hard to believe I'm so reckless and naive baby

Easy target

Easy for me to let you do what you please

She was such an easy target for him—and he was the reason why. Gibbs had caught her—so to speak.

You're such a good shot now.

As if he'd read her thoughts, Jethro smiled. "Well, thank you."

"Don't flatter yourself." Even as Jen said the words, she was drowning in his gaze. In her mind, they were back in Paris, not her house. It was hard for her to believe she'd been so reckless and naive. But now . . . now it was so easy for her to let him do what he pleased.

Sensing the way her thoughts were heading, the ex-sniper let his lips tease before pressing them to the redhead's.

Maybe I'm a heartbreak waiting to be

Maybe lady luck is laughing with me

I'm an easy target

Deep in the dark

You took your aim

You hit your mark

Okay, so maybe Director Sheppard was a heartbreak waiting to be. Then again, maybe lady luck was laughing with her, thinking she and Gibbs could work this out. Jen knew all about Rule Twelve and that it was made because of her; but right now, with Jethro holding her the way he was, she was such an easy target.

Her hand searched the wall behind her. Finding the light switch, she flipped off the lights, encasing the two of them in darkness.

If your hands were tied

If your eyes were closed

Anyway you dish it out baby

I just couldn't say no

Right now, if his hands were tied and his eyes were closed, anyway he tried to dish it out, she just couldn't say no.

Not that she knew what he was going to ask.

Easy target

Open season and you are the reason baby

Easy target

I got caught you are such a good shot now

Easy target

It's hard to believe I'm so reckless and naive oh

Easy target

Easy for me to let you do what you please

He's certianly hit his mark, Jen thought. With her being such an easy target at the moment, it was so easy for her to let him do what he wanted. Honestly, she was secretly hoping it involved taking this a step further.

Who knew the redhead could be so reckless?

If your hands were tied

If your eyes were closed

Anyway you dish it out

I just couldn't say no

Easy target

Open season and you are the reason baby

Easy target

I got caught you are such a good shot now

Easy target

It's hard to believe I'm so reckless and naive baby

Easy target

Easy for me to let you do what you please