Chapter Thirty-Five: Looking for a Stranger

I had it with the same old routine

I had it with the same old faces, places

Every night, in my life

I started feeling washed up, washed out

Hung up, wrung out, left to dry out

Every night

Abby scooted her stool back from the bar and walked out of the building into the cool night. She'd had it with the same old routine and the same old faces, places every night in her life. Recently she had started feeling washed up, washed out, hung up, wrung out, left to dry out every night.

But I know

Yeah, I know you're out there somewhere

Oh, I, I can almost hear you callin'

I'm looking for a stranger in the night

I need a little danger in my life, tonight

But the Goth knew that the right guy for her was somewhere out there. She was looking for a stranger, needed a little danger in her life tonight.

Her lips lifted in a wry smile. She certainly had enough of that working in her lab at NCIS. And McGee . . . enough said.

Abby could almost hear him calling after her, like a gentle, sweet, singin' of leaves in the wind.

I'm tired of the same old—

Hello baby, how ya'; doin'?, come here often

Where have you been all my life

Every night

The Goth was tired of guys trying to pick her up every night—and she wasn't even a hustler! Honestly, it was boring hearing the same old pick-up lines every night.

As if on cue, some guy came trotting up eagerly, probably thinking he was going to get lucky. "Hello, baby, how ya' doin'?"

"Go away," Abby said in a bored voice, starting to walk off.

Annoyingly, he stayed on her three. "You come here often?"

"Go away."

He obviously didn't pick up on the memo, since he tried one more time: "Where have you been all my life?"

"Shut up and leave me alone. I can and will murder you and leave no forensic evidence."

That got the message across.

But I know

That someday, somewhere

I'll turn around and you'll be there

Ooo . . . in my life

Every night

And I know

Yeah, I know you're out there somewhere

Oh, I, I can almost hear you callin'

I'm looking for a stranger in the night

I need a little danger in my life, tonight

Again, Abby knew that someday, somewhere, she'd turn around and McGee would be there in her life since he was currently in Canada at the moment. She also knew he'd be there for her whenever she needed him and vice versa.

For now, though, the NCIS forensic scientist needed a little danger in the night. Most of all, though, she needed to catch up on sleep. Abby hated appearing in court, yet she had to comply when the judge ordered her there.

And I know

Yeah, I know you're out there somewhere

Oooh, I, I can almost hear you callin'

I'm looking for a stranger in the night

I need a little danger in my life, tonight

I'm looking for a stranger in the night

I need a little danger in my life, tonight