Chapter Ten: Heartless [AU]

The doctor said "Come back again next week, I think that you need me"

All she did was cry, she wanted to die

"Doctor when can you see me

There's a guy out there, seems like he's everywhere, it just ain't fair"

Ziva David looked nervously up at the doctor as she waited for his verdict. He ignored her look and said, "Come back again next week. I think that you need me."

She shot a furtive glance at the window before breaking down. She wanted to die, but didn't let it show. "Doctor, when can you see me?"

"How about next Saturday?"

Ziva looked out the window again and nearly jumped out of her skin. "There's a guy out there, seems like he's everywhere. It just ain't fair."

"Where?" The doc rushed to her side, but the man had vanished. Ziva had a sneaking suspicion of who it was, but would never admit it: Special Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo, her partner at NCIS.

The Israeli stood up, gathered her things, and walked outside as quickly as she could without running, leaving Dr. Michael Rivkin staring after her in bewilderment.

Heartless, heartless, never never out of control

Heartless, heartless, ya keep on sinnin' in the name of rock 'n' roll

Heartless, heartless, ya think he's gonna bare his empty soul

He never realized, the way love dies when you crucify its soul

Ziva exploded out of the office and onto the sidewalk, her eyes scanning the area for her partner. She didn't see him, but even so, she didn't allow herself to relax until she was in her car driving away.

Tony watched Ziva, hidden in the crowd of pedestrians so she wouldn't spot him. Did she really think he was heartless, that he was gonna bare his empty soul? True, he kept sinnin' in the name of rock 'n' roll, yet he senior field agent never realized the way love dies when you crucify its soul.

Ziva was, coincidentally, thinking along the same lines as her partner—not that either of them knew it. If they had, they knew what Leroy Jethro Gibbs would say to that: There's no such thing as a coincidence. The Israeli couldn't remember the number of that rule where if it seemed like someone was out to get you, they were, but she had a feeling Tony was out to get her.

She turned on the radio to help settle her nerves as she drove back to NCIS headquarters.

Late night, in the penthouse room the fire's burning

The shadows are warm, she layin' in his arms, answers his yearning

D'ya think she understands like he plans, rides a pillar sand

That night, Tony and Ziva were staking out an abandoned warehouse from a penthouse. It wasmidnight, and since it was the middle of January, the fire was burning. The firelight sent warm shadows playing over the walls. Ziva had all but fallen asleep in Tony's arms, lulled by the fire's heat and his scent around her.

Tony rested his chin on the top of her head, breathing in her heavenly aroma. He yearned to have her, but knew if he forced it, he wouldn't live to see the morning. That didn't stop him from fiddling with her hair, though. Then he found himself tracing his fingers along her jawline, her neck. Finally he gave in, trailing kisses along her smooth neck.

Ziva tensed at first, then relaxed as she realized she was enjoying herself. Before she quite figured out what she was doing, she had turned her head and answered his yearning, kissing him passionately. In the back of her mind, she knew it was a bad idea, but she didn't stop.

Tony smiled against her lips, knowing he had her exactly where he wanted her. He could take her right now, he knew, but decided against it. Besides, they had a job to do and Gibbs would kill them if he found out.

Heartless, heartless, never never out of control

Heartless, heartless, ya keep on sinnin' in the name of rock 'n' roll

Heartless, heartless, it's so cool to be cold

He never realized the way love dies when you crucify its soul

Ziva fought a pang of disappointment when he moved away; then she remembered that they were here for a reason. With a delighted shiver, she recalled the taste of him, the feel of his hands on her bare skin. He'd never lost control, Ziva realized with a surge of anger for him. Heartless, it's so cool to be cold. You never realized the way love dies when you crucify its soul, she mentally snarled.

Heartless, heartless, never never out of control, no no

Heartless, heartless, sinnin' in the name of now rock 'n' roll

Heartless, come on it's heartless, ya think it's gonna fill your empty soul

Ya never realized the way love dies when you crucify its soul

Yeah, didn't you ever realize it

Crucify me yeah